Early Potato and Squash harvest

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My Yukon Gold potato vines died so I harvested them yesterday
harvest+8-2-11+004.jpg

harvest+8-2-11+003.jpg

and I also harvested two 8-ball squash yesterday, earlier in the week I harvested a zucchini which got cooked yesterday as well.
harvest+8-2-11+007.jpg

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
Whats the 8 ball squash taste like? Never seen one :) i assume its a summer squash?
8 Ball zucchini taste just like any other zucchini to me. I had them last year and the year before that and liked them a lot but mine were a lot darker than Cats Critters and Garden.

Chris

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Huh. Thats kinda what it looked like to me, just a round zucc. I think i'll stick with the regular shape, i like the variety of different ways you can chop em up easily.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
Whats the 8 ball squash taste like? Never seen one :) i assume its a summer squash?
Honestly I don't eat squash ( :hide ) I grow those for my mom who cooked them up and currently has them in the fridge until she reheats them for a meal, but I'll ask if she can tell the difference when she eats them.

Those Yukon Golds look great! I'm sure they are going to be delish!
They were! My only sadness is with the vines death there will be no more Yukon Golds this year (but there is other potatoes).

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got to try the eight ball zucs this year, got some in a trade, the dark green variety. I kinda thought they had a little more flavor than the Black Beauty I usually grow.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I got to try the eight ball zucs this year, got some in a trade, the dark green variety. I kinda thought they had a little more flavor than the Black Beauty I usually grow.
There is a little more flavor than the Black Beauty, I think the biggest plus with the Eight Ball is they are the perfect "stuffer".

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here is a description of the Eight Ball type Zucchini as wrought by Burpee Seeds.

Burpee Seeds said:
Ten years ago we introduced 'Roly Poly', the first round zucchini, to gardeners' great delight. Now rolling this way is 'Eight Ball', a round little charmer that is bold, glossy and with a deep forest-green skin. Loaded with delicious nutty, buttery flavor, 'Eight Ball' makes a fantastic stuffer. Vines are very productive. Size: 3-4" x 3".
Chris

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I really want to try those squash, maybe that will make it on my 2012 to try sheet! :)