Early Tomatoes

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lately I have been craving those first Summer tomatoes, even drove about 20 miles to a farm with huge greenhouses growing tomatoes hydroponically. The vines were a year old and about 12' tall! They were $3/lb. and of course I had to have some. They were better than the grocery store tomatoes after letting them sit on the counter for a few days and they kept well, but really not worth the effort and expense. So now I'm trying to get my fix ASAP and will plant outside by mid-March depending on the long range weather fore cast.

I have grown early girl many times and it's usually first and pretty good. This year I'm starting my own and picked "Sophie's Choice" for my early. Has anyone tried these? What did you think of them? What do you grow for an early?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can grow early determinant varieties but find them too often, not very flavorful. That they also play out before my usually short season ends is a little discouraging. I realize that gardeners with long, hot growing seasons often have no tomatoes thru the hottest months and pull their plants then. But, I'm doing my best to have a 6 - 8 week tomato season and it's only something really special that I will be content with having less than 2 weeks. Of course, I want "something special" for weeks and weeks ;)!

Given their popularity, I don't think it will surprise anyone if I say that Sungold is likely to be my first to ripen. Popular, so I have lots of company thinking that they are special. Delicious little cherries!
10h874k.jpg

Kimberley is something special being so early but I think it might be what is called a semi-determinant and takes a long time to come back with a few more ripe fruit. The picture above was from the first year I grew them. They were not supposed to be that oblate shape so I found a different seed supplier and they have been plum shape and still remarkably early.

Bloody Butcher is also remarkably early and just beats all others in that group that I have grown for flavor! It's an indeterminate and keeps on producing, on healthy vines.

These are little guys and you might be interested in something to compete with Early Girl, Mauldintiger. Sunset magazine claimed a few years ago that Early Girl hybrid is the most popular tomato right across the US. I rely on them but if your Sophie's Choice can compete, I'd sure like to know :)!

Steve

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got the Sophies Choice from Southern Exposure, supposed to have 6-7 oz tomatoes on a 24" plant in 50 days. Likes cooler weather. I'll back it with a couple early girls that have done well for me in the past. My goal here is just to get some early slicers for tomato sandwiches. I'll have plenty after July 1 and I don't really care if it croaks in the heat. By the way, only way to eat a 'mater sandwich down here is on soft white bread, slathered wit Dukes's mayo (made here in Mauldin, SC) with salt and pepper! No Kraft or Hellmans!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think Steve is probably the expert on here for early tomatoes, mainly because of his climate. I usually grow 4th of July, a hybrid I get from Burpee. There are a fairly small tomato and early. They have a little more seeds and pulp than I strive for but they are quite tasty. One reason I like them is that they continue to produce during the heat of summer when most of mine quit. Maybe not great producers then but some is better than none. They are indeterminant.

I usually don't pull any of my tomatoes when they shut down in the heat. If I can keep them alive they set a ton of tomatoes when it cools off some and they still have time to ripen. Just before the first frost I'll pick any that are turning and let them ripen off the vine. I usually cover a pretty good sized table with those.

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
These Sophie's choice will be in pots and I will replace them with something else if they don't make it. I'll leave them if they are still producing. My main crop will be in the ground.
I do the same thing in the fall and have had fresh tomatoes on thanksgiving and into December before. I have also rooted suckers in June for a good yielding fall crop.
New varieties and experiments are fun!

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love the garden fresh tomatoes..but am no Dukes fan. Ima transplant from the Midwest....Miracle Whip for me :thumbsup

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me too on the Miracle Whip. I used to eat mayonaise sandwiches when I was a kid. Talk about nutrition!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me too on the Miracle Whip. I used to eat mayonaise sandwiches when I was a kid. Talk about nutrition!

I used to go to a girl friends house after school when I was in 3rd grade. She always made us "mayo" sandwiches, which were unusual and, I thought, very delicious. On wonder bread of course. I tried to duplicate them at home with regular mayo and moms home made whole wheat bread. Just didn't work. It wasn't until I was much older that I realized there was a difference between MW and mayo.

Latest posts