~EARTHQUAKE IN CHILE~

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reuters - "A tsunami was generated on Saturday that could cause damage along the coasts of all the Hawaiian islands, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said. . . . The center estimated the first tsunami wave would hit Hawaii at 11:19 a.m. Hawaii time (4 p.m. EST). Waves up to 16 feet could hit the coast, center officials said."

I remember what we then called a "tidal wave" hitting Hawaii in 1960. Same cause, the tsunami was generated from an earthquake in Chile. Hawaii had just become a state and seemed quite an exotic place even to us folks on the west coast. A few years later, an earthquake in Alaska created a wave that washed my cousin's house off its foundation in Crescent City, California.

This is such a huge earthquake, we will hear tragic stories from Chile.

How this may relate to gardening: Trade exports from Chile: #2 major market is the United States and fresh fruits and vegetables are an important part of that trade.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The copies of a Tsunami Time Map that I can find after a quick check of the internet were not very clear. I kind of want to stay out of the official sites since people with more direct needs :/ may be checking those and I'm just adding to the traffic . . .

The earthquake in 1960 was even larger but the tsunami is probably on much the same path. Here is a map of that 1960 tsunami: Tsunami travel time Valdivia 1960

This historic map reflects the hourly progression of what I've seen for the projections for the current tsunami.

Steve

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you are interested:

A brief but stumbling explanation of earthquakes. From someone who has forgotten half of what I have read or learned. :p

Three major forces effect, create, and earthquake. One is tectonics...the movement of continents. Two is the subduction of continents is where magma creates new land and pushes UNDER the plates of the continentssuch as California and Japan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subduction

Look at a world map http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/index.php ( I look at this site every morning. This is my passion. ) and you will see a faint bleu lines in the oceans. The one reaching from Hawaii to South America affect our earthquakes.

The third effect on earthquakes are the sun and the moon, or rather the positions of these bodies and how close or far they are to earth. One of the strongest times is at the NEW moon. They are called Tidal Forces. In January, the moon and sun are the closest to earth. Hence a very earthquake prone month for Californians. Especially around the new moon. This is called SYZYGY.

Wikipedia: Syzygial, adjective of syzygy, describes the alignment of three or more celestial bodies in the same gravitational system along a line.

Feel free to correct me. This is not a scientific paper scribbled down for a doctorate. :tongue

By the way, I need to add "for every action, there is a reaction". So what happens on one side of the riff may in time cause a reaction on the other side of the riff. Hellooo California!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
As far as a more direct tidal effect from the moon . . . as best as I can read them (it's been 40+ years since I've lived on the coast), the tide tables show that the potential tsunami in Hawaii will arrive several hours before high tide there. The tide is not very high at this time and in that place.

I have no idea about other Pacific locations.

S'

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How this may relate to gardening: Trade exports from Chile: #2 major market is the United States and fresh fruits and vegetables are an important part of that trade.

Steve
I think this is a good point beyond the obvious damage and reports to come it. It will affect Hawaii and I hope in 2010 we have a better warning system and there are is no one hurt there today.

I think starting another topic on this point may be good in a few days. Our groceries will be highly effected, and people will surely take notice in a matter of days.

That being said, will be see a rippling effect of an increase in purchasing seed and started veggie/fruit plants and trees right now?

I am praying for everyone in Chili right now, and I am holding out hope that is has held up better through this then Haiti. :(

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Couldn't believe it when I heard it. Another big one so soon. It is 4pm EST now and I am praying for both Hawaii and Chile. They said the tsunami could have effects as far as Australia and New Zealand.

digitS' said:
Very true.

Latest posts