Easy, simple compost

MsPony

Sprout
Reaction score
I dont have a garden right now, but maybe soon, but I am composting anyways. Cant hurt anything right? It had consisted of kitchen scraps, bunny litter box (poop, urine, carefresh and hay) and some rat poop.

But yesterday I went and bought the Bucket Head from Home Depot, making my composting EASY. I vacuumed the rats cage, it got every single last "raisin" that was stubborn, all the bedding and remains of their toys. (They can shred a wood/wicker doll in a matter of hours.) Then I went to the bunny hutch and vacuumed up EVERYTHING in their cage, it even did the wet parts underneath from the rain.

The bunnies totally were digging their torn apart cage and the vacuum, so major plus there. I do suggest having a nice long, slim tool at the ready for when theres too much hay/wettness or like I have rex mixes, so hair.

Why is it easy simple? Because after a few minutes vacuuming, you dump into your composter, done! My choice is a regular plastic trash can that I roll around a couple times a week. Soon enough, after enough hay and grass clippings, I even get to add worms.

Best $20 I have ever spent! And it didnt take hours of having to clean cages (with 3 rats and 2 bunnies, thats a lot of cleaning.) I just vacuumed, hosed, put down some newspaper and done!

Edited to add: I had wanted a shop vac, because regular vaccums can't handle the load or arent strong enough. But this was a CHEAPER yet strong vaccum! And all you have to have is a bucket (sold for like $3 at home depot.)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Neat tip, Ms. Pony. :thumbsup

I think I'll need a bigger bucket to vaccuum up the chicken coop though! :lol:

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, that does sound like a hefty tool. Thanks for sharing, a bunch of ideas just sparked in my mind.

~Rio

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Nice little vac. I used my shop vac recently to get up all the old shaving that is really more like saw dust in our chicken shed. I even drag it out to the pond and suck up the muck at the bottom.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Neat tip, Ms. Pony. :thumbsup

I think I'll need a bigger bucket to vaccuum up the chicken coop though! :lol:
You'll need a 55 gallon drum for the horse stall :lol: