Eating Well on a Budget

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ha. There is a Hershey's chocolate ad on this page as I read it!

I like our homemade curry but it is simply using a curry powder in what would otherwise be stew. No, I don't follow a recipe of ingredients or amounts but it's a common meal for us. And then, we may add the curry powder. An ad or no ad•vertisement, using chocolate wouldn't have occurred to me :).

I'd like to think that I might make different meals just by playing around with the separate ingredients in the curry powder. That might be fun aaaannd tasty!

Steve
I also never thought about adding chocolate to a savory dish until DH made the Chili con Carne with dark chocolate. Well, it did create a different richness in flavor. So, we will also add a bit of dark chocolate to the homemade bolognese. :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nice to see this thread again

We have rice with beetroot, stir-fried leafy greens (including swiss chard, spinach, and beetroot leaves), eggs, and some stew today.
12927.jpg

White rice, brown rice, and beetroot
12930.jpg

12888.jpg

The stew - minced meat with beans, carrots, and tofu
12929.jpg

My personal trick is to add some fried onions (those are used in the hot dog bun) in the last 20 minutes. Fried onion will add sweetness, extra flavor, and thicken the stew a bit due to the flour. It's seasoned with oyster sauce, soy sauce, Japanese mirin (rice wine), salt, and garlic. But in fact, you can add whatever seasoning you like.

12890.jpg

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Leftovers, leftovers, leftovers...
For sure! If I like something well enough to cook it, you better believe it will be my dinner (and often lunch or even breakfast as well) until it is gone. In the case of a pasta or rice dish, I usually make enough to freeze half so that I can thaw it out later to eat for another week. Cooking something different each day seems like a colossal waste of time and energy, which is almost as bad as wasting food in my book.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Frozen is usually fine and for future days. I can take reheating something from the fridge once, for a second day. Maaaybe twice, for day 3.

It would be taking an important pleasure out of my life to eat slumgullion, day after day .... I go for freshness and simplicity. Five ingredients but, i don't take the time & bother to count ;). Honestly, I'm not floored by the flavor of the complex. Maybe it is a lack of sophistication, altho I've tried a good number of cuisines if not the haute oneS.

Small things make me happy. Not ecstatic, of course. But, even the simplest, steve

Latest posts