Edible Flowers

cookiesdaddy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm a newbie gardener. My wife said there're some types of bean with edible flowers and that they're tasty. Can someone please advise what kind of flowers I can add to the salad bowl? What is your favorite? Thanks!

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nasturtiums, violets, pansies, hibiscus and squash blossoms are all edible. I have never tried them, but I grow them for my bearded dragon to eat. Also dandelions, clover flowers and day lilies are edible.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
AFAIK all bean flowers are edible. The only ones I've actually tried are scarlet runner bean flowers and the ones off whatever bush lima beans I grew last year. THey were nothing to write home about but could be decorative in a salad I suppose.

You know what I like? Chive flowers, you disassemble them into smaller bits (they are sort of a pompom type structure, just pull it apart) and sprinkle in salad, both tasty and attractive.

I like daylily petals too, cut up into shreds or smaller pieces, in a salad or whatever.

Some herbs also have reasonably tasty-and-attractive flowers, although not all of them taste the same as their leaves, you should definitely sample before adding stuff to a salad :)

Most of the other flowers I've tried eating I feel pretty "enh" about, same as the beans. But if you want to experiment, it is easy to find lists such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_flowers or http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/07237.html (which also includes lists of ones to avoid b/c they are poisonous)

Squash or melon flowers (any variety) are good stuffed and fried, or fried tempura-style without stuffing, but then frankly you could fry even a Kleenex tempura-style and I'd like it so I'm not sure how much that says about the flower per se LOL

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just a precaution, don't eat sweetpea flowers. everything on sweetpeas is poisonous.

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hoodat...thanks for the sweet pea tip. you can never leave us. you are a great font of info!:)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Borage is a wonderful edible flower. They have a delicious tropical flavor. They look cute in salad, as garnish, and really cute to decorate cakes, cupcakes, etc...
I believe they are what makes my bees honey, so extraordinary...
They also self-seed and are very easy to transplant, if you don't like the location they pick.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just made a batch of Violet Jelly this weekend. It is so pretty and tastes good. :drool I think I will take a photo to post later ;) I would be glad to share the recipe.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
8098_violet_jelly_008.jpg
/img]

Here is the finished product. Violet Jelly. Very easy to make. 2 cups violet tops make 12 - 4 oz jars.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My mom makes Milkweed flower Jelly....pretty tasty. Bachelor Buttons, Calendulas, and some Marigolds are edible too... I think Hollyhocks are also. If anyone wants...I have a wonderful Nasturium leaf and blossom party appetizer that's most appealing and delicious..... I also candy my Violets and Pansy blossoms. I think I heard someone say that you can eat Glad blossoms too....not sure.......?????:/

Latest posts