EEK! a Mouse!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
6,798
Points
377
Location
Eastern Panhandle, WV
I was fortunate enough to see my dog exiting the cellar one day~I had just left the door open for a minute as I carried things back and forth~ and I just knew he had been in there eating the JustOneBite. The bar was gone and the dog that will eat anything was caught leaving the scene.

Dosed him immediately with hydrogen peroxide and watched him heave the whole thing out on the ground...then vomit everything he had eaten since a small pup and dry heave the rest of the day after that.

I felt sorry for the poor guy but I was sure glad I had seen him leaving that cellar and thought to look for that bar of poison.
 

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
13,023
Reaction score
20,644
Points
437
Location
Long Grove, IA
How much does a mouse weigh? From what I just read online, less than 1 ounce. Less than 1/16th of a pound. How much does your dog weigh? A lot more. What dosage will kill a mouse? What dosage will kill your dog. Think about dosage a bit.

I don't use mouse/rat poison much but I do occasionally. I made a hollow section by screwing some 2x6's together so mouse can get in but a dog or cat cannot. I take great pains to keep a dog, mine or a stray, from getting to the rat poison. It could eat enough to harm itself or even die, especially a small dog. I don't like poison. I don't take it lightly. But I'm willing to poison a mouse.
Great way to keep dogs away from the poison.
 

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
13,023
Reaction score
20,644
Points
437
Location
Long Grove, IA
I was fortunate enough to see my dog exiting the cellar one day~I had just left the door open for a minute as I carried things back and forth~ and I just knew he had been in there eating the JustOneBite. The bar was gone and the dog that will eat anything was caught leaving the scene.

Dosed him immediately with hydrogen peroxide and watched him heave the whole thing out on the ground...then vomit everything he had eaten since a small pup and dry heave the rest of the day after that.

I felt sorry for the poor guy but I was sure glad I had seen him leaving that cellar and thought to look for that bar of poison.
DOGS! I had to dose DH's dog with hydrogen peroxide when he ate daffodil bulbs. Your description of how well it worked caused me to chuckle in a knowing way! Yep same for Will. :sick
 

catjac1975

Garden Master
Joined
Jul 22, 2010
Messages
8,969
Reaction score
8,961
Points
397
Location
Mattapoisett, Massachusetts
We have a mouse (or something) stealing traps in DH's shop. Numerous mice & voles have been caught, but occasionally a trap goes missing. War has been declared.
We have developed lightening reflexes around here. If even a slight movement is caught in the corner of the eye ... Stomp!
I almost got a sparrow once.
When a trap goes missing I think it is a rat or squirrel that has been caught.
 

canesisters

Garden Master
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
5,684
Reaction score
7,461
Points
377
Location
Southeast VA
... stupid chicken coop rat!

I poured the box of pellets down the hole and packed it back closed again.
It re-dug a second hole RIGHT NEXT TO THE POISONED ONE!

IT
IS
ON!
image-annieoakley.jpg
 
Top