Egg carton/shell seed planting method

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
After seeing Beavis' awesome cardboard roll method, I thought I'd toss mine out there, too. No pictures, alas.

I save 18-count egg cartons throughout the year. When I use eggs in the kitchen, I crack off only the top third of the egg shell, throw that part away and save the empty 2/3s. Then, I nearly fill the empty shell with potting soil or a germination mix, plant the seeds, water very thoroughly and cover wtih Saran wrap. The trays then go under plant growing lights until they sprout, at which time I remove the Saran wrap.

Some of the plants do so well in the deep shells that I never even transplant them, just stick them right into the garden. When planting directly to the garden (or transplanting), I just crack up the bottom of the shell to allow the roots to work their way through. Works great and is very cheap! I also like to think about the nutrients added directly to the plant's growing space by the decomposing egg shells.

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That is another excellent idea!!!! Thank you and I love these money saving gardening tips!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hope it works well for you if you try it!

Another note is that the styrofoam containers work better than the cardboard ones since the cardboard starts to mold and disintegrate after multiple waterings.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was sooooo tempted to use some egg cartons for my veggie plants. But I had so many old Christmas paper rolls laying around I went that way. I did not know pete moss smelled so bad. :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did this with the Eggland's best plastic cartons for my basil and hibsicus seeds! Just didn't use the actual eggs. I just had to remember to put a hole in the top of the carton for air. Forgot the first time I tried and everything got too moist.

It does make for a cheap way to get those seeds going... but I did have to transplant into pots.

ml

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Think empty milk jugs are much beter, you need 3 inchs of soil for most seedlings. Or ya got to transplant those sprouts asap.

ML

Latest posts