egg shells for fertilizer

Babs

Sprout
Reaction score
Actually eggs keep for a fairly long time in the fridge. I've eaten eggs that I've had in the fridge that were a month or so old. They make great deviled eggs as they peel so easily.

If you're uncomfortable with this, you can feed it to the dogs or cook it up and give it to your chickens....

In Europe, the folks don't even refrigerate their eggs....

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Great ideas!! THANK YOU ALL!! My meal worms (that are for the chickens of course) love crushed egg shells, it gives them calcium that they will eventually give to the chickens. :p

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i put egg shells under every tomato plant.. we save all our egg shells.. I just hate throwing them out.. the chickens worked so are to make and lay and we ate the good stuff why not try to use the whole thing. :D so we have a container by the stove and every once in a while I crush them all down and when I plant I put them in and I put them in my potato bins.

mtn_penny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
A great tip save your eggshell halves and fill with soil then plant your seeds in the shells in the spring then when you are ready to transplant just plant the shell and all kinda like peat pots.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mtn_penny said:
A great tip save your eggshell halves and fill with soil then plant your seeds in the shells in the spring then when you are ready to transplant just plant the shell and all kinda like peat pots.
Would it be too small to support seedlings, unless you used a goose or ostrich egg shell.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
mtn_penny said:
Would it be too small to support seedlings, unless you used a goose or ostrich egg shell.
Oh No No they would not be too small :) You should see the size of the germination flats I have for the greenhouse.. :watering now there are some tiny cells . I could fit 3 seedlings in an eggs shell half compared to those cells.

I think mtn_penny has some sound advise there, myself :old :thumbsup

Just sounding out my thoughts on it :duc

:happy_flower Karan :D

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
i put egg shells under every tomato plant.. we save all our egg shells.. I just hate throwing them out.. the chickens worked so are to make and lay and we ate the good stuff why not try to use the whole thing. :D so we have a container by the stove and every once in a while I crush them all down and when I plant I put them in and I put them in my potato bins.
I always gave my hens the crushed used up egg shells for calcium etc. Now I will split them between the gals and the garden. :D

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
BTW, the egg shells as seed pots is an AWESOME idea!! Then just plant the whole egg-full into the ground? Very cool! I suppose the egg shell will eventually break and release the roots.
:thumbsup

laurenlulu

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The banana peels are a great idea too. Thats one of the things my snooty chickens wont eat.

I'm going to try the egg shell seed pot idea too. If nothing else it will be cute :)

Latest posts