Eggplant experts out there?

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have been having lots of blossoms on my eggpants for a few weeks now but only have one eggplant starting. Don't see a lot of bees around. Can I hand pollinate these? I have been hand pollinating my squashes.

If you can hand pollinate, how does one go about doing that?

TIA

:rainbow-sun

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It won't hurt to hand pollinate; I use a little brush.

How have your night time temperatures been?

At least the flowers are pretty! :)

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ya, our night time temps are around 55-60. Too cold for the eggo's? Highs from 70-85. What do the boy flowers look like? I can tell the diff in squash blossoms but have not been able to see the diff in the eggplants.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They start having problems under 55, though just with pollen. When they are establishing as a plant, they seem to chill easily, but once mature can handle chillier nights better...as long as the days are warm.

Our nights had been warm, but an offshore front came in, and it got down to 50...49 for a few momentsm last night. But since it was in the low 90's during the day yesterday, my eggplants looked fine this morning anyway.

A lot of places say there are male and female flowers on eggplants, but I don't believe there are. Just have a pollinating party, and spread it around with wild abandonment! ;)

Good luck! :happy_flower

Latest posts