El nino, weird or what?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the seven or so years that I have had the greenhouse, I have had to close it early in November and bring the plants indoors to avoid freezing. Not this year however, as the plants are still in the greenhouse, and, still actively growing. The olive trees should be dormant by now, but they are still putting out lush green growth. The forecast for this week is for above normal temperatures, and this morning I read on weather.com that the forecast for three weeks ahead calls for the temperatures to remain above normal. In previous years the olives have flowered in late January, but I have no clue as to what will happen this year. I open the doors and vents on sunny days to keep the temperature down, so that the plants can get their chill cycle. If it were not for the plants, I would close the vents, and sit in my lawn chair and enjoy the warmth and sunshine. Well, whatever the reason, I am not complaining, as each day passes it is one less day of winter.
jackb

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
El nino is also affecting the oceans. Went out to dinner and couldn't have the usual coastal crab that we have this time of year. The water is too warm for the opening of crab season. Still had the crab but it was from Washington.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weird here, too. Not sure I like it as it gets all the plants and animals out of their normal cycle...me too. I expect our weather patterns for the rest of the year will be just as abnormal and there will be many crops affected by this.

An easy winter usually spells a tough spring and summer around these parts.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a flock of robins in the yard, and this afternoon I will have to mow the lawn. This will be the first time in my life I have had to mow in December. Already this year I have winterized the mower three times thinking the season was over.
jackb

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had 1 1/4" of rain yesterday, with similar amounts predicted for the next week +. Our average rainfall is 35" / year of gentle and often rainfall from almost every storm. We are expecting many streams and rivers to rapidly rise and locally flood today. This after 2 years of very little rainfall. Last night we also had some strong winds of 20 - 30 mph...this morning,i found one of my 12' tall Red Osier dogwoods snaped in half and the 2nd one is laying on the ground. I guess that these native trees are quite brittle as both of them had a hard pruning by mother nature 2-4 times this last year. I now susspect that their root system is also lacking. I have to keep them tied to posts since I panted them 2 1/2 years ago as they easily snap off anywhere on their trunk . I'm done babying them along... Any ideas for replacements ? :caf

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm ready for it to snow. The little we did get has melted off and now we are getting rain, which is a good thing, but I prefer white.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
On today's noon news... we got 2 1/2 " of rain since midnight. add that to the 1 1/4" yesterday and we are seeing flooding. Some of the lower areas where the cars are parked on the street in Vancouver, Wa. and Portland, Ore.... water up to the door handles. And... our dry creek had 3" of flowing water from the back yard to the cul de sac in front wich has 5" of standing water as the storm drains can't handle the run off. The forecast is more of the same or heavier rainfall for the next week. Predicting a record of 8 " or more for this week. :caf

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
8 INCHES! Good Grief!

We may get an inch and a half outta the PNW rainstorm. I just said something about it on @hoodat 's thread.

I'm ready for it to snow. The little we did get has melted off and now we are getting rain, which is a good thing, but I prefer white.

It should be a good thing! I think any amount of frost that could have been in the ground has disappeared. I realize that the soil someplaces must be like wheat flour but, surely, there are a few roots holding most of it together. Burn scars, I don't know. There was already some rain this fall on the east slopes of the Cascades where the fires were so bad ... don't know about slides.

Steve
Edit to add: I saw Robin about a month ago, Jack. We exchanged a few jokes about the others having flown off before there was much bad weather. It hasn't yet been down below 10°f or anything. Of course, after I made that joke with Rob, the windstorm blew him away! I think he must have worked himself south from Saskatoon to about Wisconsin by now.

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend who moved to Buffalo this year posted this.
12339082_10153949642148812_2209925496607543920_o.jpg

Latest posts