Elderberries

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought 3 different varieties of elderberry plants to plant on our property. But after reading that they can spread really quick has me second guessing the location I had chosen for its forever home. We Have a large garden and our original plan was to plant them towards the end of the garden. But if these plants send out bunch of shoots I'm afraid I'll have trouble keeping up with it. Should I plant it away from the garden? Any experience with this plant? Does it get huge? Spreads quickly? Please help!

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted one that I recently moved cos I had it too close to my lemon tree. It didnt grow huge, maybe 12 feet, but it did shade out the lemon, which already is looking much better with it moved away.

It did produce suckers but not what I would call a problem and best of all for me, was that since it started fruiting I have a small flock of native birds, dont know their proper name yet but commonly called Waxeyes due to the white ring around their eyes.
I thought they would leave after the Elderberries were all gone but they have stayed finding other things over winter and Spring to keep them going.

I think you will be okay. They are deciduous, so you can always move them elsewhere when they are dormant.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted one that I recently moved cos I had it too close to my lemon tree. It didnt grow huge, maybe 12 feet, but it did shade out the lemon, which already is looking much better with it moved away.

It did produce suckers but not what I would call a problem and best of all for me, was that since it started fruiting I have a small flock of native birds, dont know their proper name yet but commonly called Waxeyes due to the white ring around their eyes.
I thought they would leave after the Elderberries were all gone but they have stayed finding other things over winter and Spring to keep them going.

I think you will be okay. They are deciduous, so you can always move them elsewhere when they are dormant.
Thank you! That makes me feel better.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Cosmo spring garden what are you planning to do with them? Are they for wildlife or personal use? I thought I wanted an ornamental one but when it was out of stock I never reordered it. A friend makes a cough syrup with hers.
Both! Birds love it and I'll make syrup to use for the pesky colds my kids always seem to get.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love to make jams or pancake syrup out of them
Ditto. Tried making wine from them once too, but found it to be too strong-flavored for my taste. There are plenty of wild elderberries in my area, I can locate them while they are in bloom; but haven't picked them for years. I always forget about them by the time the berries ripen. :idunno

My property is poorly drained, and I've been looking for something to add to my tree line that would tolerate wet feet. Most of the wild elderberries here grow in marshy conditions, it occurs to me they might be worth trying. I'd love to make elderberry syrup again. :drool

Last edited:

Latest posts