Elderberry Wine Anyone??

funkychicken

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi all...I am looking for a recipe for making elderberry wine...heard it was really good and would like to give it a try if it isnt to difficult...thanks!!

funkychicken

Sprout
Reaction score
oh thank you ..I will check it out...have a great day!!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

All the elderberry wine that I have made in the past has taken YEARS to become drinkable. Up to 8 years in some cases!!!! :( Mind you it was then absolutely the best wine I have ever made & very strong.

Some years ago a great friend's parents died within a short time of each other & I helped her clear her parents home for the upcoming sale. It was a very old cottage in a sea-side town. We suddenly came across a door we hadn't previously seen -- when we opened it there was a small room absolutely packed with bottles of home-made wine! :ep There must have been around 300 bottles. :celebrate When we looked at them my friend realised that about a third of them actually had been made by an old uncle of her parents who had died 10 years before her parents.....!! Her mother had cleared out his belongings & saved the wine; most of which was elderberry. We opened a bottle to try it.......................................................... :thumbsup It was incredible................................ amazing..............................terrific!!! Like very good port! :ya :ya Needless to say we didn't get much done that day ;) Boy was it strong. :celebrate

So be prepared for a long wait & will it to your favourite child. :lol: :gig

:rose Hattie :rose

funkychicken

Sprout
Reaction score
oh my...I would not have got a thing done either!! It sounds as if this wine would be a lot of waiting for it to age...I dont mind waiting but not for years!!...alas...another squashed idea!!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
funkychicken said:
oh my...I would not have got a thing done either!! It sounds as if this wine would be a lot of waiting for it to age...I dont mind waiting but not for years!!...alas...another squashed idea!!
Maybe you could try other wines that are drinkable in a short span of time, while waiting for the elderberry to be ready :D .

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow funkychicken :frow

I'm really SORRY, I didn't mean to squash your enthusiasm! I feel really BAD about it! :hit

Try making Blackberry wine instead & that is good when it's young & tastes somewhat similar. Here is a good recipe with full instructions:-

http://www.familyherbalremedies.com/blackberry_wine_recipe.html

Am I forgiven now? :rolleyes: :)

Happy Winemaking.......Hiccup........!! Pardon!...........Hiccup! :lol: :gig

funkychicken

Sprout
Reaction score
oh...I am fine!! I didnt know that elderberry was one of those "wait and see" sort of wines...now the blackberry wine seems do-able...and I think I will give it a try!! Thank you so much for the link...

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have wineries that make elderberry wine and I guarantee that they are at most a year old, no more. The wine is wonderful, full bodied and a little higher on the alcohol content than some grape wines. I personally like it better than blackberry or most native grape wines.

I can't find elderberries to make anything! Not even jelly. I buy an organic berry mixture for my smoothies that contains a fair amount of elderberry juice and would love to can it up.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Sylvie, :frow

Commercial wineries can use all sorts of methods for ageing wine that we amateurs can't -- it's not the same system. :idunno

I'm sure their wine tastes good when young. If you read all the best books on home wine-making they will back up what I say. Unfortunately there are some good things we have to wait for! :D

Wheat wine is another one that takes years! It tastes EVIL when young! :sick :sick