Elephant ears

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Brent and Becky's Bulbs has them, lots of different varieties and species of them. Different shapes of leaves, different colors of leaves, bariegated ones, some with leathery leaves, some with almost round leaves, some from different parts of the world. Those puppies have huge leaves.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
if anyone is willing to send a few up north i would gladly take some! :D i loved having the 'giants' a few years ago near my pond but the ones intended to be placed into the ponds can be ridiculously expensive but beautiful!

btw, i believe if you look for taro/taro root when researching you'll find tons of info about them. taro root i thought was edible and makes that bitter paste call Poi found in Hawaii. (never eaten the stuff so someone can correct me on how good/bad that taste actually is :) )

itsmechrissy

Sprout
Reaction score
I make pottery and elephant ears are great for making platters! I made a couple a few years back, I simply pressed the leaf into a think clay slab, cut around the edges and layed it on another platter so it dried to that shape (instead of flat). I tried it with zucchini leaves too but those didn't come out so nice :) I'll definately be searching the roads for wild elephant ears this year!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Itsme, that looks like such a fun project. I am always hoping to do it with rhubarb leaves, too. One of these days!

Adambelmont321

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Seems to be really an interesting plant. I wish you could share a pic with us, but no worries i will have an online look. Then will see if i can give it a place in my lawn. :p

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was out cutting the grass today and found 3 red elephant ears that I had planted at the beginning of summer and figured they were lost to our drought. Right now they each have one leaf about the size of my hand, with a couple more ready to unfurl.
Won't be too long before I'll have to dig em up and bring inside!!!

THANX RICH

Adambelmont321

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well for the above post, wasn't that surprising for you :p that you found some elephant ears so sudden :D ?