Elephant Garlic

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am going to grow garlic for the first time this year, and have done alot of reading...

From what I have read on elephant garlic, its more of a leek.

"""Elephant Garlic
So called 'Elephant Garlic' has become popular recently. Its called elephant because of its relatively large size. Very mild flavor, it's great for diners who haven't quite warmed to the taste of garlic. In fact, elephant garlic is not garlic at all, but a type of bulb forming leek.""""

So, my question is this:

Can I grow elephant garlic, as both a garlic and a leek?? I love leeks, and can I use the stalk as a leek, and dry the bulb as garlic??

This sounds like its obvious to do, but, I have not read where you can do this.
There is no such thing as elephant leek...

Your expertise please??

Athena

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Athena said:
Can I grow elephant garlic, as both a garlic and a leek?? I love leeks, and can I use the stalk as a leek, and dry the bulb as garlic??
The following is theory, not experience, but:

One likely problem with what you propose is that the tops of leeks, and the bulbs of garlic, mature at different times in the plant's life cycle. YOu'd need to eat the leek greens (or whatever you'd call it - whites? :p) when the plant is still growing, whereas you need to let it mature and the leaves start dying off before you can harvest the bulb.

If the greens are tender enough to be acceptible eating -- which I have no idea of, having never tried it, although my mother has grown the stuff as garlic -- you could of course just use the bottommost portion as mild garlic, but there won't be terribly much of it I expect and it won't be storeable except in the freezer.

JMO, and who knows, you could always try and see what happens,

Pat

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have used garlic greens to flavor a salad, or a stirfry, but I only cut off one leaf per plant. The larger leaves are a little tough, but I suppose if you cooked them in a soup, like a leek, they would tender up.

I have never grown elephant garlic, but the times I have purchased it, they looked like super large garlic cloves, not at all like a leek.

Latest posts