Eliminating Raspberries

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I planted a 16 ft row of several red varieties and a few yellows. Now the yellow variety has taken over and chocked out all but a couple of the reds. The yellow berries don't have much flavor, and I'm constantly fighting mold. I spent a lot of time initially preparing the soil and support structures. Now I want to eradicate everything and start over with just a red variety.

If I spray the foliage well with Roundup will it kill the plants, or is it too late in the season? I'd like to be able to get a fresh start in this same location next spring.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Please read up on Round-up; specifically all the folks that went to prison for lying about what it really does.

This is a real danger!

Please...be a gardener and get out there and dig! It will do your body and soul good. Just cut it back to the lowest common denominator and then go after the root.

Ron

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Please read up on Round-up; specifically all the folks that went to prison for lying about what it really does.

This is a real danger!

Please...be a gardener and get out there and dig! It will do your body and soul good. Just cut it back to the lowest common denominator and then go after the root.

Ron
I'm all for limiting the use of chemicals, but that 3 ft by 16 ft bed is one solid mass of roots. I doubt I could get all the roots if I tried.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nor, will the roundup kill all the roots. Those berries will be able to start from just a tiny live root. I chopped mine up into a million pieces, pulled out all the big ones, and still find them coming up. I think you have some backbreaking work ahead of you...Sorry...

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:caf

i battle berry bushes from a empty lot next door .. round up didnt work for us ..
i snip them when they come over the top of the fence.
ive salted (water softener salt?) along the fence line.
i use my shovel to dig up where they have taken root in my beds..
my husband has used a metal blade on the weed-whacker ..
really all the above i think it just slows them for a season - they keep coming back and keep getting farther and farther away from the originals ????
i think im staying ahead of them - it doesnt sound like your in the same situation in your bed.
sorry no real answers ..
i hope you find some tips and or tricks to help !!!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've grown raspberries for several years. You have my sympathy!
It is a chore to keep them thinned and where you want them, but we relish the harvest!

Have you thought about using plastic to smother them?
You could cut them at the ground, till and compost if needed, and cover with black plastic.
Cardboard or several sheets of newspaper and 4" of mulch works too.
Then in spring, plant your new plants in holes. Mark the new plants and cut to the ground any others that emerge.

Raspberry canes are SO persistent.
But, when I have them move into my rhubarb patch I just keep cutting them back to just below the ground and eventually they are drained of life and give up. Oh, that sounds sad, but this works for me!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh what I wouldn't do for such an exotic wonder!

I tried blackberry...it died in the desert. :hit

Ron

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Oh what I wouldn't do for such an exotic wonder!

I tried blackberry...it died in the desert. :hit

Ron
Ahh... and I envy your gorgeous ROSES! Many a bush has met it's demise in my frozen yard.

OMG, did I drool over your purple tiger ...
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26832

Returning the favor... :p ....Actually I wanted to try inserting a pic, I think I got it!

6517_picture_3981.jpg
[/img]

orloff

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
AHH I cant imagine planting blackberries. There taking over everything in th northwest!