Elm tree?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say you for sure have an elm tree. The seeds match pictures of Wych Elm, but that's not necessarily the variety yours is.

Interestingly, one of the common names I found was "water" elm, which is similar to "river" elm I suppose.
The seeds should prove to be a very good clue in discovering what you have in your pasture.

I'm surprised that someone from the extension office guessed green ash.

Maybe you could find an arborist to help with the ID. Elms are common, and they see lots of trees...

David Harritz

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The tree bark is leafed out yet still it is stand that is very nice thing and yes the name that you have suggest that is nice name "water" elm. It is completely barked that is why the name is suitable for it. I think that a tree is died because i can't see the green leaf of it.

DigginWithJon

Leafing Out
Reaction score
That is an Ash tree. Looks to have gotten the Emerald Ash borer. I would report that to your states agriculture dept. And whatever you do, don't transport that wood anywhere! The ash borer is killing ash trees all over America. Around here the towns have been cutting down all of the ash trees because the damage is so severe. The ash tree will probably become non existing soon. And it will be about 30 years before new ones can be planted.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not a tree expert, looks like elm to me

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that without a leaf sample of some kind it will be really hard to give a definite ID. There are many varieties of ash, with different bark textures and silhouettes and blooms, and there are also many elm varieties with different bark textures, silhouettes and blooms....
The two species have enough similarities in different varieties to make it hard to pinpoint. To me anyway, but I'm not a tree expert.

The bark does look very much like green ash, but then I compared it to images of elm bark and it looked very much like elm to me.
Sparkles didn't give us an idea of the height, which could be a good clue, or what the color of the bark looked like underneath when a chunk was broken off, or a good close up of the old blooms. Or if she finally had it identified. She has been absent from the forum for awhile, or we could ask her!

Latest posts