Energy Efficient Steam Canner

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I sort of doubt you could get your temperature high enough for safe processing in one of those. I'd go far a pressure canner at about the same price.

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It says in the description " not to be used as a pressure canner. use as a waterbath canner for high acid foods.
So basically it is replacing the regular waterbath canner NOT a Pressure canner.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yup, understood that. It uses steam to heat seal instead of submerging jars into a water bath. I'm wondering if anyone here uses one, and what there thoughts are.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are not recommended by state extension agencies etc these days, on account of they do not deliver reliable enough heat transfer to guarantee that your jars will all heat through sufficiently. (Reason being twofold, mainly the fact that steam contains MUCH less heat than boiling water so its heat transfer is much less efficient, and secondary reason being that heat distribution is supposedly more uneven in steam canners)

That said, it's the way mom canned *all* her tomatoes and pickles when I was growing up, and I'm still alive :p

My take on things: I don't use one myself, but if you are doing smaller rather than larger jars AND are happy being a bit casual about the possibility of some failures (esp. in longer storage) AND are only using them for really definitely high-acid foods, I do not personally see any big problem with using a steam canner. THat is just my personal opinion though, people should make up their minds for themselves :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat