Epsom Salt

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Epsom Salt....magnesuim sulfate! I remember years ago my Grandfather had the most beautifully healthy pansies that where just loaded with blooms. I asked him what his secret was and he told me Epsom salt. I planted some pansies last week and today I got around to watering them down with a little Epsom. What other plants do you use Epsom salt to help them along?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's a commonly used supplement for roses, I know. In small amounts obviously.

Pat, who mostly uses it for soaking abscessed horse hooves :p

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I added some epsom salt to one of my bed because somewhere I read that pepper love it. It not only perked up the pepers but drastically pepped up the squash. Since adding it my peppers are happy with more blossoms and bigger pepper but also the squash and grown considerably. The bean on the other hand didn't like it so much. After a sprinkling they got a burnt loook.

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Magnesium is important for our nutrition, and we get it from vegetables we eat, so it is definitely a good idea to make sure it is in the ground we grow our vegies in.
We normally put it on our roses, but have started to put it in the vegetable garden as well.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it is supposed to be wonderful for dahlias but to be perfectly honest I did not notice a difference using it or not they are still big fat and colorful :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put a little in each hole for my tomatoes. The old timers around here swear by it. I didn't do a test, without it- but my tomatoes look great. They are not huge plants, but they are covered with fruit...Certainly didn't hurt them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chlorophyll is made up of carbon (which the plant can get from the air), hydrogen & oxygen (H2O), nitrogen (the reason we "feed" our plants nitrogen fertilizer), and magnesium.

Your plants need magnesium to make chlorophyll so as to be able to grow. If your soil has it - they will be fine, at least in that regard.

I understand that acidic soils tend to be magnesium deficient. If you apply dolomite to raise the pH of your acidic soil, you are adding of calcium magnesium carbonate. So, I suppose that you are killing 2 birds with 1 stone if the soil is both acidic AND magnesium deficient.

I'm no expert on all this and my garden soil has neither problem.

Steve

Latest posts