Ever wonder what cauliflower blossoms look like?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah ha!

Hoodat and other fans of Asian greens will have you growing the plants that are really supposed to be eaten as they begin to flower!

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I stopped saving my kailaan seed. I think I have an inferior variety. The shoots are tasty but very thin. I'll order a different variety from one of the good seed companies and see if that is better. I'll probably scatter the seed I have left in some spot I'm not using and make rabbit greens out of them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you were willing to go for a real little guy, Hoodat, yu choy sum might be a good choice.

We use a lot of just flowering bok choy; it isn't one of the "supposed to" flowerers. Still, if I can get it before more than a very few of those yellow flowers are open, the entire stalk is more sweet and tender than the leaves ever were.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree with you on bok choy flowers. The stalf is also delicious. If the outer layer is fibrous it is easily peeled. Usually the inside of the stalk has no fibers.
I've tried choy sum and it grew well but, like spinach, it grows so close to the ground that it is difficult to remove all of the grit.

Latest posts