Everything Became a Number

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know how you don't pay attention to zip codes in other neighborhoods? Well, I don't anyway. Other than remembering (how do I do that? why do I do that?) old zips from places I used to live and like, one for the downtown of nearest major city . . . .

We might remember zips for people we write to. There is still the odd letter that goes out from maybe 1 in 10 households.

How many of us could define the boundaries of even our own zip code? How many could map, even in a vague way, the zips out to, say, a 50 mile radius from our homes?

Not to worry! Google now divides the country by zip codes. Sure, go to google search and punch "zip code" and any combination of those 5 numbers and up will bounce a google map showing the boundaries. Your community is just a zip code. Forget about living on Pleasant Prairie and driving thru the Pine Creek community on your way to shopping at Jantzen Beach. They are all just numbers.

And, an internet address that you type in to visit some webpages online? All just numbers - we knew that. Computers don't read things like the "cityofharmony.org." We all have social security numbers. I can still remember getting mine - back in pre-zip days. Mom wanted me to have a bank account (another number). A SS# was required.

One of these days, the accountants will realize that there are 26 letters while there are only 10 numbers. If you want to identify individuals within a large group, it makes sense to include, at least, several of those 26 letters. Like car license plates.

Like the bank does for a payment verification code. It may be all letters. We will be assigned codes like that. They may have a set order to them, like "BOBSMITH" who lives on "MAPLELANE" in "AMESIOWA."

digitS'

Latest posts