Evil Groundhogs

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't have as much free time to work in my garden as I would like. I took time off early in the season to prepare my beds; I covered the rows with paper mulch after preparing the soil with compost, etc; and planted lettuce, spinach, chard, peas, beans, onions and carrots.(It was too early for tomatoes and peppers). Everything sprouted nicely and then a groundhog broke in and tore up all of my paper mulch and ate EVERYTHING except the onions. So I had to start all over and it has taken some time since I don't have much free time- I work every day. Now I have tomatoes and peppers thriving; the peas and beans I replanted are doing well, and I am thinking it is too late in the season to try chard and spinach again. It may be too hot now.

But every day I hold my breath before I look in that garden, afraid I will see total decimation again. My daughter says I should buy a gun.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You don't need a gun- you need a better fence! I really think a good, secure fence is more important than anything! What is the point of all that hard work, if the critters are just going to get it! I wouldn't hesitate to plant swiss chard again, towards the end of July. It is a cool weather crop and will continue to grow well into the fall. Some claim they harvest it from under snow....Good luck!

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks lesa.

I have a fence that is stapled to landscaping timber all along the outside but they burrow under. I blocked off two holes so far with boulders and I am constantly looking for evidence of new attempts.

I was thinking of trying 4 season gardening this year - there are a bunch of things you can grow all winter if you have some protection from the weather.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Or a terrier type dog. My pit bull love to chase things and she has such a high prey drive.

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hmm- I have a big dog - a boxer- but I don't let him run since he killed two cochins.

I had a boston terrier but she died in April. Coincidentally, that is when the groundhogs started terrorizing my garden.

ohiofarmgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ah-haaa... got to love those terriers...

so you might try having your big dog mark the property line and all around where mr groundhog was been appearing.

and shhh... you can also have your husband do the same thing
;-)

bunch-a-chickens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
at least around here theres always somebody willing to stake out the garden to kill a groundhog. i happen to be one of those people. you dont need a gun, you just need to know someone that does.

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:barnie Find out their witching hour and stand by with a gun. The gophers ate our entire backyard.. then we figured out that they come out at 7pm. :cool:

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
ah-haaa... got to love those terriers...

so you might try having your big dog mark the property line and all around where mr groundhog was been appearing.

and shhh... you can also have your husband do the same thing
;-)
I don't have a husband...I suppose I could do it myself - might be messy, though

Latest posts