Excited (watermelon)

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I spotted a little bitty watermelon yesterday. Its smaller than the tip of my little pinky finger

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If it really is a watermelon, it won't stay that size for long! :gig

Ok, that was cheesy, but I thought it was funny... you can :smack me, I'm a dork!

No really, that is awesome! My watermelon doesn't even have flowers yet. How large was your vine before it flowered? Mine is less then 1ft long?! How long will the vines get you think?

I was told not to touch of move the vines or leaves, as they use sooooooooooo much energy to move their leaves to get in a comfortable position they stop producing flowers and stop producing fruit until the 'move' their leaves back to where they want them. I find it strange, but I believe it.... these take pretty long to grow don't they!?

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh, the joys of the garden!! The joys of a fresh picked watermelon, congratulations!

Claudia

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
If it really is a watermelon, it won't stay that size for long! :gig

Ok, that was cheesy, but I thought it was funny... you can :smack me, I'm a dork!

No really, that is awesome! My watermelon doesn't even have flowers yet. How large was your vine before it flowered? Mine is less then 1ft long?! How long will the vines get you think?

I was told not to touch of move the vines or leaves, as they use sooooooooooo much energy to move their leaves to get in a comfortable position they stop producing flowers and stop producing fruit until the 'move' their leaves back to where they want them. I find it strange, but I believe it.... these take pretty long to grow don't they!?
First, this is my first year raising them, so, I can only tell you what I have observed. I have 3 beds of them. I guess I have about 20 plants. Some of the vines are over 10 feet long. I move the ends of the vines on occasion to get them going in a direction I want them to go in. I have never been told not to touch the leaves but I dont actually know anybody who raises watermelons. Now I am going to go nuts trying to find out about that. Yes, they take a long time. I believe around 100 days but I could be wrong about that.

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
allabout said:
Oh, the joys of the garden!! The joys of a fresh picked watermelon, congratulations!

Claudia
They are all destined to become watermelon wine. I hope to make 100 gallons.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I moved my vines last year all the time and they still had several watermellons on each vine. THey kept getting into my mowing path so had to be redirected almost daily. It didnt seem to bother them?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh my gosh! 10 ft.... really?! They are planted in a bet that is only 6'ft long and 6 ft wide. This may be an issue.... I have a fence up they will have to grow through or over. I hope the ducks don't get any fruit or flowers off of them. Oh well....

I did buy a smaller variety watermelon, I was hoping that meant smaller vines... but I guess not! LOL

I will find where I read about the melons and how they set their leaves... I will post the link if I remember where I read it!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Oh my gosh! 10 ft.... really?! They are planted in a bet that is only 6'ft long and 6 ft wide. This may be an issue.... I have a fence up they will have to grow through or over. I hope the ducks don't get any fruit or flowers off of them. Oh well....

I did buy a smaller variety watermelon, I was hoping that meant smaller vines... but I guess not! LOL

I will find where I read about the melons and how they set their leaves... I will post the link if I remember where I read it!
vfem,
Have you tried a watermelon variety called 'Bush Sugar Baby' ? the vines stay compact, only about 3 feet spread.

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have two or three of those and also one that is a little smaller than a baseball!!! I will have to get your recipe for watermelon wine!!