experience with shorter deer fences?

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know this sounds kinda crazy but we were having a problem a few years ago with deer coming up and munching in the garden. I'd find deer prints every morning. One day I go out to pick my bush beans because I saw that the night before they were perfectly ready. But when I go to picking there's not a bean to be had. The deer had walked right down the rows and they nipped each and every bean off the vines. Didn't disturb the vines at all. They took every bean we had. Then someone told me to put up a string fence and tie the plastic yellow or hot pink ribbons to the string every few feet. The flags were to hang down at least two feet. From that point on for the rest of the year and the next year the deer never bothered us again. Rabbits did but not the deer. You can also tie the aluminum pie pans to the string as well. I swear it works. It must have something to do with movement in the breeze or when the deer touch the line. I don't know. I just know it worked for us.

We now have put up a four foot fence around the garden made of 2x4 welded wire fabric. I put in 4-inch poles in concrete at each corner and one at the gate and then drove the green metal fence posts into the ground and strung the fabric between them. It keeps the rabbits out but I put it up not to keep the deer or rabbits out but my less than a year old puppy who loved to dig in my raised beds. I thought the dog was dead meat when she dug up one end of Teresa's asparagus box.

Latest posts