Experiment with Electricity

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It wasn't the least sophisticated :).

I left the outside water on after setting DW in the greenhouse with the watering wand attached to a hose. I was in a hurry to get the hose rolled up before it cooled too much altho it was about 40°. It hasn't been above freezing since.

It sure would have been nice if I'd been in a hurry to get down in the basement and turn that water off :\.

So, today I decided to not go down to the hardware store and buy a propane torch ... instead, I crawled under my deck and wrapped about 9' of pipe with an extension cord. Lightweight thing ... plugged it into a surge protector and powered that with my big extension cord.

At the other end of my wrapped cord, I sat with a hair blower. A few minutes, I had drips. Do those things really pull 1850 watts, or did I just read that wrong?! Probably less than 10 minutes, that pipe was thawed. I didn't have half the trouble pulling that extension cord out as I did wrapping it around the pipe!

Anyway, I came back in and This Old House is talking about induction stovetops ..! Do those things moving parts? Electromagnets? I saw a induction furnace core picture - copper and glass (?) tubing. Oh, it's all beyond me! Reminds me of the introduction of microwave ovens and heat pumps. Aaah, technology!

digitS'

'

Last edited:

Latest posts