Extremely Disappointing Radishes

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now I did a trade with someone a couple months ago and she sent me 'RED' radishes. I planted them 5 weeks and 2 days ago today. Then last week they were attacked by green caterpillars, which I promptly gave to the chickens. I got them all cleared up in one day.

Now, did that stunt their growth, or was something up with the seeds because I only got little white root twigs after all this? I was also considering they were white radishes and not red like I was told. Did they need another week or 2? I have more planted that won't be ready for while, just wondering if I should leave them longer or what?

What do you think the issue was....

radishes.jpg

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Did you thin them after they sprouted? If you don't, none of them will produce big fat radishes, they just stay skinny, pathetic roots.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I thinned them out the best I could... that was my entire harvest there! There was one every 5-6 inches in a 32" long pot.

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They look like the white icicle (sp?) radishes we planted this year -twice- and it didn't matter how long we left those suckers in they never got bigger than that, we were very disappointed. They definately dont look like any of the red radishes that we planted.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I'm not so happy with the radishes she gave me then.... :mad:

Her lettuce she traded with me is wonderful though.... So light and delicious!

Ok, so next year I will just have to buy red radish seeds from Home Depot or something.

CottageGardener123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hi vfem,
radishes will do this sometimes. It happened me many years ago. They looked exactly like that. This year my radishes did VERY well. They came from burpee seeds. Burpee Seed Co. has good quality radish seeds as do many other major seed co's

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here I come Burpee! LOL

:D

Oh they smelled so good I was CRAVING radishes (one of my favorites for ranch dipping) but I ended up just throwing them to the chickens. They seemed pleased with my growing at least.

Latest posts