Fall bulbs

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do believe you can plant the saffron crocus come summer for fall blooms. And saffron of course. :p

Now you could be planting bulbs to bloom in summer, like calla lilies... or some bare root plants like lily of the valley who like shade.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are very few actual fall-flowering bulbs (as opposed to summer-flowering). The only ones that come to mind offhand are:

--- a couple of crocus species (purple or white C. speciosa the fall-blooming crocus is commonest in the trade, and by far the most reliable; saffron crocus needs a dry-summer location and has rather unimpressive flowers IMHO but is not too hard to grow; and there are a couple minor 'collector-type' crocuses which are hard to grow/obtain and pretty unimpressive anyhow)

-- Sternbergia (sp.?) lutea, a yellow crocus-lookin' thing not too hard to find or grow

-- Colchicum spp (I think the waterlily-type doubles are prettiest, but there are a single ones too, white or light pink)

And fall-blooming anemones which are not really a bulb.

None of these things would you plant NOW though (except the fall blooming anemones)... I doubt you could even GET any now, you have to wait til August or so. You plant them then; most will flower the first year (i.e a month or two after planting).

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat