Fall planting of bare-root trees

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am so jealous! I am jealous and I am so happy to know someone (living vicariously) that is planting 6 Sugar Maples, and will see them grow and mature into lovely productive trees.

Thank you for your Service in this manner! I am always so proud of my fellow human being when they actively plant trees. I can honestly say that there is yet a year in my adult life that I have not planted a tree on Mother Earth!

I Decree by the Laws of Life that every man, woman, and child should represent themselves by planting a tree; a token for the Future!

You did Good! :throw

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Whoooo-Hoooo :woot :weee

More trees, we will soon take over the Planet!

Ron

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

A Quince & a Fig (Panachee) are my contributions this Autumn. The fig will stay in a pot, under cover, till Spring but the Quince I shall find a home for in my back garden.

:rose Hattie :rose

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've been doing my best to sort of reforest our 8 acres of former farmland. When we moved in, the house had two large silver maples and that was it. Not a single smaller tree, bush, perennial, bulb or sprout. I thought all farms came with at least a lilac bush :)

I've planted six apple trees, two cherry trees, a plum tree, a pear tree, six lilacs, three silver maples, a red maple and a river birch (actually, I planted more, these are just the ones that have survived thus far). Now I'll have my sugar maples coming, and next spring I plan to continue with my little fruit orchard and I'd like to add some nut trees. I really like having trees that produce something edible. Anybody got any favorites?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I keep forgetting where you are! :(

Can you include your zone and where you are in your Signature line or under your Avatar.

Ron :thumbsup

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I forgot to add my zone, but did add my location. I think most of Wisconsin is zone 4, with a little of 5 and 3 thrown in for good measure. If I stretch it, I'm technically in zone 5, but I usually try to play it safe, especially since anything I grow has really no protection from the northwest wind!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nut trees require patience. I'll have fruit a long time before I have nuts. I've planted 3 English walnuts, 7 pecans, 1 almond, 4 hazelnuts (they are more of a thicket but I'll call them trees), and several hickories, all within the last year and a half. As for fruit trees, I have 5 apples, 1 sour cherry, an Asian pear, two regular pears, two plums, two peaches, a fig, and will replant a mulberry and sweet cherry the deer killed. They are not trees, but I do have two grapes and plan to add a third. I'm also trying hardy kiwi.

Snewman, you might look at the varieties you have and consider another plum and pear for cross-pollination purposes. The varieties you have may be self-pollinating but the yield can go way up if you have other varieties there to cross-pollinate.

I hear you on the zones. When I put my zip code in the growing zone locators, I am in zone 6, zone 7, or zone 7a, depending on which I use. I figure if it grows in zones 5, 6, 7, and 8, I have a chance with it.