Fall tomatoes!

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've had company this week and I haven't been out in the garden much, but I wandered out there today and found red ripe tomatoes! It's only the cherry tomatoes so far, but I'm hopeful that some of the regular ones will still ripen before it gets too cold, even though I got a late start on the Fall tomato project this year.

-Wendy

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My experience of Georgia in winter was that it was so foggy I hardly saw the state - both times I was there!

I was just reading about someone in Florida wanting to move to South Carolina so as to enjoy "the 4 seasons." That made me smile until I learned that community he hopes to move to has an average first frost in October!

Altho' there are light frosts every night, we haven't really had a hard frost yet. This is really surprising but the temperatures are staying about 5F above normal for the last few weeks. About the only unpleasantness that we have had lately is fog in the mornings. These may have been Georgia fogs, only misplaced by a few thousand miles and a month or 2 . . ;)

I hope you enjoy your fall tomatoes, cherries & beefsteaks!

Steve

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We're still a month away from our first frost, but it's already in the 40's at night. I'll start earlier next year, looks like these didn't go outside until August.

Apparently I should have been pruning back the tomatoes after they set some fruit to keep them from wasting energy making more flowers that have no chance this late in the season.

-Wendy

popsgumdrop

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I got my tomatoes started on time this year, but they stayed in the starter pots for too long. Of the 10 I started with I only have 3 left. One is about 3 inches tall, one is about 6 inches and the biggest one is about a foot and a half. :barnie I should just rip'em out of ground and plant some broccoli, cauliflower and garlic.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have begun harvesting the green tomatoes and putting them in a bowl with ripe ones in hopes to get them to ripen too. Its going to be some cold cold nights to come... and I don't plan on letting anything that could ripen get wrecked!

Plus, I was craving some green fried tomatoes anyways! :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
90 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Goobly Goop! How are you going to get thru all those, Collector?

I'm down to a single box - that weighs 28 lbs. Pretty fair-sized box . . .

My technique, honed after years of dealing with these things, is to go thru them on a daily basis and select out the most ripe to go in their own container. 90 lbs? 3 boxes, already?!

Green tomatoes can work for you over a long period. (Do you have some favorite keeper varieties?) Here was a 55 days-to-use for me from last December (click).

Steve

Latest posts