Fall wildflowers - what are these?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
#4 is what we call Creeping Charlie. It is VERY invasive. Thankfully it pulls up easily. But can take over a flower bed or back yard in no time.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Carol, I THOUGHT that it looked like creeping Charlie, but I had never seen it flower before. That stuff drives me crazy, and I HATE the smell of it! Luckily, it's just growing in the woods, so it's not a bother to the garden.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are domesticated varieties of Creeping Charley that are much more tame than the wild ones. They come with beautiful variegated leaves with silvers and greens, and their stems are soft. Creeping Charley varieties that are variegated and soft stemmed like that are one of the plants we used to sell when I lived in Montana, where nothing tropical grows outside. Folks up there look for tropical looking plants that can survive 44 below. Huechera is another tough beauty, and Alchemila Lady's Mantle. These group together real great, especially with Bubble Gum Spirea all around, and Joe Pye Weed behind with some clumps of Karl Foerster grass or Ribbon Grass...

ohhhhhhhhhh, I'm in landscaping mode!

:caf

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I spotted this one the other day. The leaves resemble a black or raspberry, but it doesn't look like it's going to fruit. And I've never seen one with such big pink flowers. What is it?

5763_009.jpg

Latest posts