Fall/Winter Veggies/Fruits

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I want to do an overhaul on my "garden". A little background information. My "garden" is 16Xsomething and has a large patch of concrete with the "garden" situated around it. The fence is about 6' tall on all sides. I do get a fair amount of sun coming into the yard.

Right now, the grassy areas are over grown with weeds. We are talking 5-6' tall weeds. Its really bad. So sometime this week or next week I'm going out and pulling up all those weeds and getting rid of any plant life in the entire backyard. Then I'm going to loosen up the hard soil in preparation for some plants. I will also be using some pots for potted plants.

I was wondering if there was anything I could grow this fall or during the winter? I'm in zone 7, not sure whether it is a or b. I'm in Richmond if that tells you anything. Anything I can grow this year?

I also need to start planning what I want to plant this upcoming Spring.

tfpets

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Do you have chickens? I was thinking about doing a Kale patch, that way I could have the ground cover and prettiness of the kale, and I understand it is nutritious for livestock and poultry! It is a good ground crop.

Before you pull those weeds out, give 'em a good soaking too, it'll make your job a lot easier!!

Enjoy!

Tina

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you are going to remove all the vegetation (weeds in this case), I would recommend scattering straw or compost or leaves or some form of organic material to keep the soil from eroding this winter. Bonus is that it will feed your soil for next spring.

It is a little late to start fall/winter crops. You may have luck with kale, or you may have some luck starting some things indoors and then trying to harden them off at some point. . . . However you will be fighting the shortening day length at this point anyway.

Fall/winter crops should be started somewhere between mid and late summer. Exact timing depends upon when your first frost occurs and what crop it is you want to grow.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Kale is very hardy. It can definitely make it all winter in zone 7.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I will attempt kale this year then. As soon as I get my camera back from my friends, I'll take before and after pictures of my "garden" when I clear it out.

Latest posts