Falling In Love (a.k.a. Peep's gardening journal)

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
Hey that sounds great!

Sounds like the tent can be removed soon and you can just keep an eye that they don't dry out.

Mist them a few times a day, watch the soil and you should have many new plants.

Good for you!

Joe
Thanks, Joe!

soon as in tomorrow? or soon as in next week?

will i kill them if i actually look to see if roots are forming????

the curiosity is killing me!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are delicate plants, but they way to check is to pull up on the plant very gentle and if it resists it has started rooting.

But this would slow down the process on this little stem, being the roots are so small to start with.

The fact that the leaf is perking back up is telling you the rooting process has begun.

I can't tent my plant for long here. It gets very warm everyday still and that will cause problems with fungus and such. The tent is only to help the plant hold moisture till it is able to take up water itself.

Joe

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:happy_flower Surprise Delights Hiding in Plain Sight :happy_flower

I'm having so much fun! Fall is wonderful! :weee

It seems like every day God surprises me with something that was standing right in front of me all along. And then i feel like dancing. :weee

Last week or sometime, i was trying to identify my hornbeams/hophornbeams. And Ron said something like, 'maybe it's an elm,' and showed me these great pictures of elm leaves over on this other thread . And then i said something like, 'too bad it's not an elm 'cause elms seem cooler than hornbeams. whoever heard of a hornbeam!?'

For the record, hornbeams are actually pretty cool, once you get to know them, but i just got done saying i wanted to have an elm tree, and then, as if God had just planted a 50 year-old tree in my front yard, i was standing in my yard, burning something (as in brush and trash), and i looked down and noticed all around me, what i wouldn't have recognized without that previous conversation....ELM LEAVES. :ep

Now i really need some binoculars i think, 'cause i have spent large portions of the past two days wandering around my yard, staring up at the leaves, trying to ascertain the details of the 4 inch leaves attached to branches 40 feet (or some long distance) away. I worry that passersby might question my sanity. :lol: But it's o.k.; more than likely, i'm happier than they are. :rainbow-sun

Then this morning, i finally found it. :clap
From my reading and examination and running back and forth to look at the bark and rubbing leaves and looking at pictures, i think it's an American Elm. It's incredibly tall, and the bottom of the trunk looks almost like about 8 smaller trees were somehow melted into one. It's very nice and grows on the edge of a very small gully that drains toward the creek when it rains.

While i was looking for the elm, i found another tree that i haven't identified yet. We shall see what we shall see if i have the energy to go out there and stare at the sky this afternoon. :pop

In other news, i have removed the tent from my stevia cuttings, and i think some of them are going to make it; my ivy cuttings outside are still holding strong, except for the one Jelly (my dog) helpfully pulled out of the ground for me; and my 14 week-old cockerels have started trying to crow, in conjunction with our forest rooster, and i'm delightfully awakened at 5:30 each morning by some very normal rooster sounds and by some very entertaining kazoo and clown horn noises that are attempting to be rooster sounds. :clap And i'm lovin' it!

A couple of days ago, i got batteries for my camera and went for a walk in the woods. Here are some of the pics, just for good jollies. :rainbow-sun

Here i am trying to show you a tall magnolia, but it's kind of hard to pick out. Magnolias grow like weeds here (very nice weeds) but hardly bloom because of all the shade.
S6304290.JPG

Here are my 5 little tomatoes that i'm hoping to get to share with my hubby. This will be our fall harvest this year.
S6304230.JPG

Here is the understory of one of my very favorite trees, our Swamp White Oak (i'm pretty sure). I love the way it forms a canopy. So pretty.
S6304209.JPG

And here is its leaf formation.
S6304210.JPG

This is the enormous trunk of what i think is a Shagbark Hickory tree. I can't get a good look at the leaves because it's so tall. Maybe when they start to fall, i'll be able to get a better idea. But very cool bark, eh?
S6304260.JPG

Here are some of the ferns (fiddle ferns i think?) that grow all over our forest floor....and the reason i wouldn't insult my forest by planting imported ferns by the house. ;)
S6304253.JPG

Dewberry vines.
S6304254.JPG

I :love :love :love :love :love :love Sycamore trees!
S6304256.JPG

American Holly - another 'nice weed' here.
S6304271.JPG

And this year, it looks like it's actually making berries! :celebrate
That will be very pretty around Christmas! :clap
S6304274.JPG

These are muscadine, right?
S6304269.JPG

Here is Injunjoe's nemesis, Paper Mulberry.
S6304281.JPG

At least it's offering some fall color!
S6304283.JPG

Here is one of the things we fell in love with about this place. The ground cover. Large portions of your yard are covered in this stuff year 'round. It makes little white flowers part of the year and these great red berries near winter. I have no idea what it is and don't even know how to look it up. But i love it!
S6304286.JPG

I know this post is getting pretty image heavy, but before i finish, you have to meet my main man.
This is James, my best friend, companion, and faithful husband of 11 years.
S6304294.JPG

:love :love :love :love :love :love :love :love :love :love :love

O.k., one more!
S6304284.JPG

That one was just for prettiness.
:frow

I have a bunch more, but i think everyone will thank me for laying off the images for now. :gig

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wonderful pictures.
You sure have spent some time doing your homework.
All of them are great except for one, you know the one!
James looks like he would be cool to hang out with!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful trees.

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beth,

I am just floored! I am. I cannot imagine how it feels to be in such a diverse biosystem such as what you have shared with us in pictures. It is not only outstanding but incredible in that you have really reached out and embraced this space as a part of you.

Bravo! My Gosh! I am floored! :bow

Thank you so much.

I wanted to share one Elm that I have had difficulty identifying. This Elm is called Slippery Elm. It is a magical native tree with properties that outshine most! It is revered by the Native Americans and embraced. There is one close to my house, and I call her Sister Tree! I might have to rename her Beth! :love

Here is a Medical Reference for Slippery Elm

Here is Wikipedia for Slippery Elm

I am sure some would argue that the tree I call 'Sister Tree' is actually an American Elm; but, I am convinced she is special anyways!

I have used Slippery Elm Bark for severe acid reflux caused by a Hiatal Hernia or vice versa; it helped tremendously. I am happy to report that I am reflux-free for over a year now!

Here is a wonderful picture of Slippery Elm

elmred-wayne-2003.jpg

This map shows the Pollen of Slippery Elm, Ulmus rubra, perhaps it may be in your area!

Ulmus-rubra.png

Thanks again for such a Lovely Post! I love this post! :love

Ron

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Joe, i'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, James is very fun to hang out with! At least i think so! :love

Ron, what a great resource! :clap Thanks for the info about slippery elm. The elm that i found in the front yard, i am pretty certain really is American Elm because of the coloration of the bark. However, when i was stumbling through the woods later this afternoon (stumbling because i'm fighting a bit of a head cold today) to see if my possible shagbark hickory was shedding leaves i could examine, i also found more elm leaves of different sizes and textures, so there's a possibility that one of those could be a slippery elm, and that would be great! That area of the woods is much wetter also, so there is a good possibility of finding one, i think. :fl

I love the way that God put all of the things we need to be well right in the nature around us :celebrate , and i am saddened that our society rarely bothers to learn about those amazing resources. :hit I am very eager to learn all i can about the medicinal values of what is around me. :woot

That's why i was so excited about the mulberry i found until Joe burst my bubble. ;)

I love my place too, and i'm so thankful for it. The more i investigate nature, the more i am inspired to worship God for so majestically creating so many awe-inspiring and amazing creatures and plants for our enjoyment. :weee

Do you make your own tea from the tree near you? Or do you buy it somewhere? I'm curious about that. If i find a real slippery elm on my place here, i will definitely be making some tea post haste! And i might sneak it into my husband's iced tea if the flavor's not too strong. He has crazy heartburn! Not to mention me. :rainbow-sun

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you make your own tea from the tree near you? Or do you buy it somewhere? I'm curious about that. If i find a real slippery elm on my place here, i will definitely be making some tea post haste! And i might sneak it into my husband's iced tea if the flavor's not too strong. He has crazy heartburn! Not to mention me.
I bought the powder at our local COOP Market. It tastes very pleasant and mixed with other drinks it does not alter the flavor. I was taking it with coffee of all things! LOL I guess because coffee used to cause me pain, and I am such a coffee-holic.

If I had one, which one day I will order a 'real' one, I will harvest from it without a doubt! :tools

Ron

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
Joe, i'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, James is very fun to hang out with! At least i think so! :love

Ron, what a great resource! :clap Thanks for the info about slippery elm. The elm that i found in the front yard, i am pretty certain really is American Elm because of the coloration of the bark. However, when i was stumbling through the woods later this afternoon (stumbling because i'm fighting a bit of a head cold today) to see if my possible shagbark hickory was shedding leaves i could examine, i also found more elm leaves of different sizes and textures, so there's a possibility that one of those could be a slippery elm, and that would be great! That area of the woods is much wetter also, so there is a good possibility of finding one, i think. :fl

I love the way that God put all of the things we need to be well right in the nature around us :celebrate , and i am saddened that our society rarely bothers to learn about those amazing resources. :hit I am very eager to learn all i can about the medicinal values of what is around me. :woot

That's why i was so excited about the mulberry i found until Joe burst my bubble. ;)

I love my place too, and i'm so thankful for it. The more i investigate nature, the more i am inspired to worship God for so majestically creating so many awe-inspiring and amazing creatures and plants for our enjoyment. :weee

Do you make your own tea from the tree near you? Or do you buy it somewhere? I'm curious about that. If i find a real slippery elm on my place here, i will definitely be making some tea post haste! And i might sneak it into my husband's iced tea if the flavor's not too strong. He has crazy heartburn! Not to mention me. :rainbow-sun
Awesome to hear about your latest finds. :thumbsup God's creation is amazing.

About the Slippery Elm....I have a cold right now and I've been drinking tea that has some in it along w/ Echinacea and such....it helps! It's called Throat Coat :p from Traditional Medicinals.

Your mystery groundcover w/ red berries looks like Partridgeberry (Mitchella repens) to me.....

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Journey, although wintergreen sounds really really cool, that's not what i have (very similar though i think). I think Caleb got it with the Partridge berry.

Y'all are awesome! I didn't even have to TRY to identify this one! :thumbsup

I think i need to start making a notebook to record the identity of all the things growing here and the possible medicinal uses. What grand fun! :celebrate

Thanks everyone for enjoying it with me! I really love to share my finds, and it's great to have cyber-friends who appreciate my excitement and improve my knowledge! :hugs :frow

Latest posts