family Celery

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, a few snowstorms later - nope, my favorite nursery did not have Par-Cel seed, nor did a few other places I've looked. Soooo ... I ordered it from Johnny's! Might be a bit late getting it started, but I will have plenty of seed to try it next year too.

@digitS' - I hope to get you a review in, oh say, 90 days, plus shipping. :lol:

They had a different variety of Lavender I want to try, so it was just meant to happen. :D

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew lovage in my half barrels on the patio. Or I guess I should say I grow lovage...it gets to be 6'? Yikes. I don't think mine will ever be that lofty, it's just a, maybe, 2 footer. I'm embarrassed that I haven't actually used it. I bought it from a small local nursery (Judys, Steve, if you're familiar with it.) They always have a few unusual items there.

And sweet cicely! I dug some out of a compost pile (okay, it was mostly a brush pile) when I noticed it had come up. I think it's a pretty plant and worth having in my border just for it's ferny charm, but now maybe I'll think of how I might use it. It smells lovely too!
I will have seeds this summer if any of you northern gardeners are interested.
Sorry, southerners, but it has to have some real cold to germinate.
Sorry, southerners, but it has to have some real cold to germinate.[/ :tongue

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, Lavender!

I'd shoved this idea to the back of the drawer . . . hoping I'd remember in January of 2015.

Yes, I will be interested in what you think and the uses you find for it.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have an old Burpee package of Par-Cel in my collection. i think they were selling it in the herb category on the seed rack at the local big box hardware store. i had some luck getting it to sprout for me but it never made it to the garden after starting it in the house.

i have lovage seeds too.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i have an old Burpee package of Par-Cel in my collection. i think they were selling it in the herb category on the seed rack at the local big box hardware store. i had some luck getting it to sprout for me but it never made it to the garden after starting it in the house.

i have lovage seeds too.

Yeah, I looked in the herbs, the veges, even in the flowers incase it got misplaced... like a desperate addict. :D

Why no luck getting it to the garden? can it be direct sown? Is it hard to transplant? - did you eat it? :lol:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
ok, it made it outside but we had a dry spell and i just didn't get it in the ground before the plant keeled over from lack of water and too much growth in the tiny pot it was in. i already had plenty of parsley, celery and lovage i started in the house and those made it in the ground.

after having a lot of time during the spring and very early summer to work on gardening, i started a job at the beginning of July and some plants i had been holding back till i found a good spot just didn't get in the ground. those that survived in their pots eventually got their own space before the snow flew.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Whew, I thought it would be sorta like parsley and not all that difficult to grow.

Yeah, I've had a few of those years. Hope this one is better for you!

Latest posts