family Celery

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never even looked in Johnny's catalog.

My order for their seed went out on the 19th & was received already.

Lovage is a great, big plant isn't it? May be the wrong day to talk about something with a name like "lovage."

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lovage might be a bit much to handle for my herb garden. Six feet or more! and ... "You might move a badly placed lovage in year two, but after that it’s a hard job to get its deep roots out of the ground."

Not sure I would lov it that much...:D ... but if I had a couple of acres to play in ... :cool:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No. It would have to go in my small backyard not in distant, annual gardens.

You know, Lavender, "parcel" is difficult to search for ;).

I think I'm gonna have to resign myself to ParCel as an annual - sowing at some distant date. I was at the garden center yesterday. The idea hadn't occurred to me that early in the day but I can check their seed packets again soon. They have Thompson & Morgan seeds & those folks have a "cutting celery!"

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Lavender2 , that looks interesting. But where are the stalks? No peanut butter or pimento cheese stuffed stalks? I guess I'll just have to keep buying it at the store....... :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew lovage in my half barrels on the patio. Or I guess I should say I grow lovage...it gets to be 6'? Yikes. I don't think mine will ever be that lofty, it's just a, maybe, 2 footer. I'm embarrassed that I haven't actually used it. I bought it from a small local nursery (Judys, Steve, if you're familiar with it.) They always have a few unusual items there.

And sweet cicely! I dug some out of a compost pile (okay, it was mostly a brush pile) when I noticed it had come up. I think it's a pretty plant and worth having in my border just for it's ferny charm, but now maybe I'll think of how I might use it. It smells lovely too!
I will have seeds this summer if any of you northern gardeners are interested.
Sorry, southerners, but it has to have some real cold to germinate.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lovage grows wild all over the place here. I don't know if it gets six feet here, I'm thinking more like four feet. I could easily collect a pound of the seed if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to get any until fall. I haven't tried using lovage yet but plan to next spring. I live in a place where wild edibles/medicinals are super easy to find; I know so other herbs that I have here are sweet woodruff, wild anise, jewelweed (touch-me-nots), etc. I don't know if I'll be able to get any seeds before we relocate but if you pm me I can put you on a waiting list. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What's wild anise Seedo? Would that be the same as wild fennel? We used to eat the seeds of that all the time as kids. It grew wild all over, I guess it's actually an invasive in CA.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nah, this is just Anise growing wild in the forest, not half as showy as that wild fennel. It's sometimes used to make licorice. Very strong scent and flavor of black licorice.It's one of my favorites to chew on when walking the trails, that and peppermint. I may be able to get you some seeds if you want. There are plenty but they quickly get overwhelmed by other plants so timing is important. Here at my elevation is were you want to look for this stuff, higher up it's mostly ferns of different kinds and stinging nettle.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it is likely that I Parcel Outage for 2014. Lovage needs some warmth & affection.

The ParCel had a flavor exactly like celery and was as tender as it could be. I remember just sampling it in the garden as I would the parley. That is how I did things as a farm kid. I knew where the parsley was and would go by and break off some to eat. I've always like raw parsley and the ParCel was more tender than the curly parsley ever is.

Sweet Cicely would be something for desserts and candies as best as I understand. I like licorice flavors but they are unlike parsley or celery. You know, the celery stalks really amount to nothing other than flavor. Mostly, anyway. Compared to carrots, they have 2/3rds the protein and 1/3rd the calories. They are both very low protein foods. There must be some vitamins but one would starve on foods like celery. Just something that tastes good (and can hold cheese & peanut butter ;)).

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No. It would have to go in my small backyard not in distant, annual gardens.

You know, Lavender, "parcel" is difficult to search for ;).

I think I'm gonna have to resign myself to ParCel as an annual - sowing at some distant date. I was at the garden center yesterday. The idea hadn't occurred to me that early in the day but I can check their seed packets again soon. They have Thompson & Morgan seeds & those folks have a "cutting celery!"

Steve

Oh I know, I got every package and shipping company from here to Spain! ...
even after I added 'plant' to 'Par-Cel'... Google indexing needs some fine tuning there.
I hope to get to the nursery tomorrow, if the snow misses us for a change... :rolleyes:
The Green Barn has oodles of seed!

Last edited: