Farmer's Almanac

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is there anyone here who grows by it? My mother always swore by it for planting/harvesting time but this is my first year to take a serious look at it.

Anyone have any experience with it? Likes or dislikes?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
They've got MY vote, at least for their weather predictions, which I've noticed (and they claim) are about 80% accurate!!! Seriously, though, I took their planting charts online for my zone, and created personal planting charts with dates for sowing--I didn't look at or follow reaping, but maybe that's because 2009 turned out to be such a dismal, wet, growing year where I live.
I think that if you encorporate the Almanac's suggestions into the plans that you've been using for gardening, you might improve, just because they give a lot of good advice. For instance, they suggest planting root crops from the waning Full Moon to the New Moon, and planting seeds from the waxing New Moon to the Full Moon. simple enough :lol:
see this site:
http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/phases.html

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
I think that if you encorporate the Almanac's suggestions into the plans that you've been using for gardening, you might improve, just because they give a lot of good advice. For instance, they suggest planting root crops from the waning Full Moon to the New Moon, and planting seeds from the waxing New Moon to the Full Moon. simple enough :lol:
I've heard a lot of oldtimers swear by it. I've never tried it though. Have thought about it!

oberhaslikid

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I try to find a calendar every year with the moon signs.I plant by the signs.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I go by it, religiously.....even get updates, by email, everyday, from them on weather and what is best to do in the garden, ect...ect.

Old timers used to always go by the almanac, my grandfather being one of those old timer's, and I do the same....and it's never steered me wrong or given me a reason to doubt it.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My grandma follows it and taught me to as well. The past couple of years they got pretty expensive in the stores so I've been finding it online. I went to the World's Largest Ag Expo a couple days ago and they were giving them out for free! So I've got it here, I'm pretty excited. I set my eggs on the wrong day apparently! ;)

Latest posts