Fast kale!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted this kale on Wednesday, spring equinox, and I thought I saw little tiny heads popping up last night, and yep! They're up already! This was a coupla' years old seed so I sowed them thick. I'm amazed at their quick germination! I hope the old pepper seed does half as well that I planted the same day. I think the bottom heat was the key.

I'm happy :)

7504_jacks_turkeys_kale_seedlings_mar_22_13_010.jpg

7504_jacks_turkeys_kale_seedlings_mar_22_13_008.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only thing sprouting up here, is more snow!! I am glad you are having wonderful, seed starting results! Maybe spring is on its way?? I had kale in the garden for the first time last year. I must say, I like the taste of swiss chard more... however, they claim kale is the healthiest veggie- so I will have it again in the garden. Interestingly, my kale survived the winter. The stems were really tall and woody, but there was new growth on the tops. I thought it would be interesting to see how they survived another season. Dh was "helping" in the garden and pulled them up and fed them to the chickens. Oh well. Maybe you can do the experiment, Thistle?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle's Christmas tree light germination chamber is awesome!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Christmas tree lights!??!

Is that what those are? (Note to self: Xmas tree lights.)

Kale is fine. Kale is wonderful with an interesting flavor and what must be top-of-the-list nutrients. You are doing good for yourself, Thistle'!

Maybe the miserable spring equinox here helped to scare the little seeds up! (Note to self: torment seeds with threats of bad weather.)

digitS'

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bad weather tormenting only works on some seeds. Kale is kinda masochistic and likes bad weather.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never grown kale before. But the thread about kale piqued my interest, and somebodies experience (Kassaundras? )with drying it sounded interesting. So we'll see how it goes...

Lesa, I will for sure try that experiment and report my results. :)
It would be a tough veggie I think to come through a long winter.

The bottom heat ( yes Steve, those are little Christmas tree lights ;) ) was mainly for the peppers, and I have a few cells of old saved tomato seed I started the same day.

Tomorrow I'm starting the rest of my tomatoes, and my husbands thinking on how to best make a high tunnel with cattle panels.

This year I WILL get ripe tomatoes!! I WILL doggone it!! :lol:

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thistlebloom, I too hope to build a high tunnel w/cattle panels.
I have little bitty baby kale. the weather has turned cold here again, so it should be happy - but i'm not.

Latest posts