fastest bearing fruit...?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey,
would any of you guys know of a fruit that will produce fruit in the least amount of time, to bear in my garden by next summer or fall?

Thanks!!

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Depends upon what you are starting with.

Lots of fruit bear on trees, and I have had Apples, Peaches and Cherries bear the 1st year from bare-root trees planted in early Spring.

You can buy strawberry plants that will probably produce a bit the 1st year.

From seed, you wont find much the 1st year.

If you really want fruit the 1st year, I suggest visiting a local nursery and buying a good-size fruit tree or two.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
beavis said:
Depends upon what you are starting with.

Lots of fruit bear on trees, and I have had Apples, Peaches and Cherries bear the 1st year from bare-root trees planted in early Spring.

You can buy strawberry plants that will probably produce a bit the 1st year.

From seed, you wont find much the 1st year.

If you really want fruit the 1st year, I suggest visiting a local nursery and buying a good-size fruit tree or two.
Yeah i'll probably go with plenty of berry plants.
Thanks beavis for your reply, i appreciate it

Thanks Again!!

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just watch the types of berries and how old they are. We bought Blueberry plants last year that were first years. They will not produce a sufficiant ammount, nor should they be allowed to, until the third year. I think blackberries and raspberries are the same, though I'm not as sure with these. Strawberries will produce nice ammounts the first year. Buy plenty of them and put a net over them if you want any left after the birds find them. :D

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GardenGirl said:
Just watch the types of berries and how old they are. We bought Blueberry plants last year that were first years. They will not produce a sufficiant ammount, nor should they be allowed to, until the third year. I think blackberries and raspberries are the same, though I'm not as sure with these. Strawberries will produce nice ammounts the first year. Buy plenty of them and put a net over them if you want any left after the birds find them. :D
Thanks Gardengirl,

yeah i think i will go with plenty of strawberry plants, i dont have a nice big garden but i do have property in NC about 1.5 acres or so.
I do have a blueberry bush and raspberry bush that produced a good crop the year after i planted. I'll plant plenty more of those and maybe some grapevines, only 2 years for those i think.

Thanks Again!!!!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am ordering bare root strawberries in plant in bags I found at Parkseed this year. They look very hardy. Don't know how I'll keep the birds away... I need them all for my strawberry bread. :lol:

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I am ordering bare root strawberries in plant in bags I found at Parkseed this year. They look very hardy. Don't know how I'll keep the birds away... I need them all for my strawberry bread. :lol:
Oh ok, what variety of strawberry did you order?
Why dont you try putting bird netting over the strawberry patch.
Strawberry bread..sounds good i love baking bread but i honestly haven't heard of strawberry bread.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Strawberry Bread Recipe:

* 2 cups fresh strawberries
* 3 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 cups white sugar
* 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
* 4 eggs, beaten
* 1 1/4 cups chopped pecans/walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter and flour two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
2. Slice strawberries, and place in medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle lightly with sugar, and set aside while preparing bread mixture.
3. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in large bowl: mix well. Blend oil and eggs into strawberries. Add strawberry mixture to flour mixture, blending until dry ingredients are just moistened. Stir in pecans. Divide batter into pans.
4. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until tester inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn loaves out, and cool completely.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh Thanks vfem, ;) Sounds good. I'll have to try that strawberry bread recipe maybe this week. Do you like baking a lot? I bake a lot of bread especially now that its winter, i can send you a few recipes that i have like Italian Olive Bread and others that i enjoy.

Thanks Again!!!!!

Latest posts