Fat Carrots. Is there a cause?

wiswash

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I had a good harvest of carrots this year. Today, wife and I canned 21 quarts (3 batches) in our new presto pressure canner which we bought for $80. Anyway, I dont recall which variety of carrot we have, they were supposed to be long and slender but a lot of the carrots are almost 2 inches across at the top. Any idea what causes this? We are in zone 4, upper midwest. Thanks

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi Wiswash!
How long were these carrots allowed to grow? Most varieties should be mature in about 70 days give or take. If left in the ground they will continue to grow until the first good frost.

If this is a green thumb issue I would suggest doing several plantings a few weeks apart and watch how long they are left to grow before harvest, sounds like you do have a geen thumb with carrots. Also congrats on the great harvest!

:thumbsup

wiswash

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I planted on memorial day. They grew well. I didint harvest until this week. So maybe I should just shorten the time between planting and harvest? I just wondered if the fatness made them woody or lessened their flavor? I think I like carrots cuz I can harvest on my own schedule and not be in a rush.

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think letting them grow a little too long can allow the core to get a little tough, but since you are canning them I don't see it as a problem. Home grown is always better than store bought. :)

Latest posts