Favorite Cold Weather Meal

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fall is here, this time of year, when the weather gets a chill nothing beats a bowl of soup. Hot bowl of soup and toasted garlic bread great for lunch or dinner. Love going out to eat, seeing a soup I never had before on menu. What is your favorite cold weather meal ?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love butternut soup or tomatoe soup made from my frozen heirloom tomatoes. I think I make delicious soups but my husband and son do not think they're filling enough for dinner. They want meat...grrrr.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
NYboy and Mary, even the Victorian high society served dinner in this order ... appetizer, soup, salad, MEAT, then desert followed by a fine liquor while sitting in a comfortable chair by the open fire in the fireplace. Me... if I had soup or a salad for lunch or dinner, I would be starving in 15 minutes.( a man's metabolism is different from a woman's ) As for the salad, I would feed it to the rabbit, then eat the rabbit. I want real corn fed sizzling HOT PRIME cut of MEAT , Chateau la Salle for after dinner drinks . A turduckhen for our Christmas dinner, ( a dinner fit for a KING...chicken stuffed into a duck stuffed into a turkey ... all carcasses deboned and in one piece, rolled one inside the other then roasted ). Followed by a fine liquor while sitting in a comfortable recliner by the fire in the fireplace. :drool :celebrate

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew up on a small farm. There were only a couple dozen cows but that meant a couple dozen calves went to the auction or slaughterhouse each year. We had some of our beef cured and smoked and ate beef 3 meals a day. I used to search through the freezer looking for anything other than beef to suggest for a meal!

"Other" meant chicken or fish or lamb ... it was later when I was of on my own and working for farmers, some with their own herds, that I began to drag myself away from all this meat in my diet!

Gardening was probably responsible. Old enough to work in the equipment sheds through the winter, I said, "No thank you!" Went to work for a greenhouse and realized how easy it was for me to populate a garden with plants each year!

Already growing big gardens, I had to figure out what to do with all the produce. After eating every part of the cow imaginable, even some that weren't parts! Wild game of nearly every stripe and posture, fin and feather ... I'm with Mary and NyBoy - a good, hot bowl of soup with some good bread on the side. Let the snowflakes fly!

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my mother was alive, her vegetable soup. If she would have made home made bread, it was a meal to good for a king!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right this moment, enjoying a bowl of butternut squash soup - and wishin' that I had some bread to go with it.

Fav. winter soup is Bacon Potato Chowder. mmmmmmmmmm

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob in Italian household salad is served right after meat before desert. Always wanted to try turduckhen, isn't quail also used?
Traditionally it is a chicken inside a duck inside a turkey. Quail or squab are served individually ( one bird per person ) as a stand alone meal. Since you are in NY, fine restaurants serve it or one can order one either already roasted or roast your own during Holidays. It is quite expensive as it takes quite a bit of time to debone them and still keep all of the meat inside their own skins, roll them one inside one another, then fasten them all with string in preparation to roasting. I use a 2 1/2 lb Cornish Game hen or up to a 4 lb. Cornish X chicken, ( depending on the number of people to be served as well as the size of duck and turkey that I can get) a :drool5-7 lb. Pekin duck, and at least a 22 lb. . or much larger White Breasted Turkey. But OOOOOOHHH so good ! :drool [One can Google as to how to debone a bird and keep all the meat and skin whole. ] :cool:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I make baked potato soup and fresh bread on cold days. If my husband cooks its chicken salsa soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Both are delicious!

Latest posts