Favorite Heirloom Seed Company

gumbygardener

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mine is Baker creek Seeds I just went to their HQ in Masnfield, MO because I live no too far away, it was such a wonderful place. they are having a really big garden festival may 3rd and 4th, who is all going to that? i know i am! I can't wait to grow their varieties of plants this year.

What is your favorite heirloom seed company? and why?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't really have a favorite per se, since no one company is going to have everything I might want/need. Baker Creek is certainly on the list of ones I visit frequently, especially now that they have the Explorer series. Other ones I use often enough to make regular checks include Tradewinds Fruit (besides being excellent for Tropical seed to play around with, they have a surprisingly good herb and tomato section.) Baker Creek is also very good for herb seed and the Seed Zoo is again a good place for rare veggie seed (though it is rather depleted by now). I also visit Sacred Succulents from time to time. Again this is mostly play around tropical stuff, but they DO have a surprising number of obscure South American veggies, and a lot of odd species herbs (for example most of my more obscure wild edible allium seeds came from them.)
Finally for those occasions when I want/need my herbs as plants, not seed, I like Mountain Valley Growers, since their selection is quite extensive. The fact you have to order a minimum of six plants at a time is a bit of a hassle, but it can be worked around.

gumbygardener

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This list of companies you put is way cool! i love learning about gardening thank you @Pulsegleaner this list is really helpful!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, caught an error. The line before "the seed zoo" should say Richter's Herbs, not Baker Creek (not that Baker Creek is bad at herbs, but I meant to write Richter's)