Favorite homemade insecticides

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What are some of your favorite home made insecticides (more natural ones preferably) Care to share your recipe? Have you tried any that just didn't work at all?

Does anyone make their own Garlic Spray? How well do they work? Do they farm bees?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of these homemade formulas . . . Jerry Baker and his mouthwash; bourbon; birth control pills . . . I mean, is this gardening or a frat party ?

A number of times, I've used 3 tablespoons of Palmolive Green dish soap for every gallon of water as an aphid spray. It worked very well and didn't cause damage to the plants.

Spraying late in the day and spraying with water the following morning - seemed to be a guarantee of no problems for the plants and a win against the aphids.

Steve

"farm bees" . . . ? Do you mean does it "harm bees" or can you rent bee hives?

:tools

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Anny! :frow

I have just been doing a bit of research & came across this:-

http://www.n8ture.com/herbalcompanion.html

I you scroll down to the info on Costmary & Great Fleabane there maybe a clue there. I have recently ordered some Costmary & am waiting for it to be sent. It's a member of the mint family I think so if one made a strong tea of it & then sprayed it. I do this with elder leaves & mix it with chicken poo tea & nettle tea to kill off aphids at the same time as giving the plants a foliar feed. I find it works on black-fly & green-fly (but NOT WHITE_FLY). I add a tiny drop of washing-up liquid to make it adhere to the leaves.

Hope this helps a bit! :rainbow-sun

:rose Hattie :rose