Favorite sweet corn....zone 5 here

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Looking for your favorite variety of sweet corn.

Looking for next year just want to start my research now so I know what I want when the time comes. Thank you

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not going to admit to having a favorite . . . otherwise, I'd wouldn't be so inclined to grow so many varieties each year and still try some that are new . . . well, maybe.

Anyway. I feel that I have to stick with SE varieties because many of them have a tolerance for cold soil and it takes a long, long time for the soil to warm here in the Spring and early Summer.

I really enjoyed trying Sugar Buns for the first time this year. A late planting of Ambrosia is coming off really well right now and is probably the best of the 4 varieties that have been growing out there.

Honestly, I like a white corn probably the best. Next year, my new variety will have to be a white. It would be great to hit the just perfect choice!! Then I could go back to exploring the yellows and bi-colors some more . . . earlies and lates . . . waiting for the seed industry to discontinue one thing or another . . . maybe trying something really new!!

Steve :p

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is my first year trying to grow corn. I only planted a little bit in a small experimental patch. It grew great. The variety is Dutch Bantam sweet corn. I have to go pick the ears before the squirrel get them. :D

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I only have space for one kind of corn and we really really like Peaches and Cream.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I like Northern Super Sweet (sh2) its 62/70 days.
As for a White Corn I like Silver King (SE White) and it is 82 days.
I myself would like to try Argent (SE White) but cant bring myself to pay 10.00 a lb..

Chris

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dont know the name of it but I like the kind with the yellow and white kernels that is grown in the columbia basin. will have to find out the name of it before next season though.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Providence for me. Use to be Illini SS but got tired of the poor germination and vigor.

bcallaha

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Like Seedcorn, I too plant Illini Super Sweet. This year, because of the germination issues, I tried the early version of the hybrid, and had good luck. I also planted some Illini SS later when it was warmer and had less germination issues. I will probably do the same next year.

As far as flavor, I've not found any corn I like better than Illini SS. We've been planting it since the mid-to-late '60s.

Brad

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you tried Providence you would give up ILLini SS as it's sweeter. Altho ISS can be harvested much later and still be great eating.

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I grew Silver Queen and Doubly Delicious this year, they were good; but we had some from a farm stand that was really good so I asked what it was. They said Bread & Butter - so I've googled for that type of sweet corn on the web but so far have not had any luck. Anyone heard of this type and know where to get it? It was bicolored.

Latest posts