Fears of low acid canning

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Put my fears of pressure canning to rest--are there any special lids you use, or anything special that you do? I've heard too many horror stories about canning low acid foods and botulism, even WITH a pressure cooker, that I've all out avoided them in favor of tomatoes, fruits, and anything acidic. But NOW, I'm thinking about it. I've been canning the above foods form the garden for about 5 years. Looking for advice. thanks in advance :caf

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The best way to put your fears to rest - get a good canning book and follow the directions exactly.

I recommend the Ball Blue Book. It lays everything out and is easy to follow.

Good luck!

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The USDA DOES recommend that you add acid to tomatoes being canned even if they are Pressure Canned. The problem with that is that they don't say why. We pressure can green beans with like NO acid and they are okay but not tomatoes? So, with that caveat I will tell you that I have pressure canned tomatoes and tomato products like tomato sauce, salsa, chili, spaghetti sauce and tomato juice without added acid and without incident. The people on my canning group generally do the same thing with the exception of those who still water bath can and they do add acid.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Thanks, Catalina--I DO have the Ball Blue Book. Thanks, farmerlor, although I have never heard of adding extra acid to tomatoes, AND, I've been canning and eating my tomato crop for 5 years now. (Always try to eat the oldest, first, cause I always date my cans. ;) )I guess I was wondering if you change any equipment for canning low acid foods from the method of canning using the hot water boiling method that you use on high acid foods? Besides the obvious use of a pressure cooker? I have been using 2 piece lids, the ones where you reuse the glass jar and reuse the "canning caps" to screw on the one-use lids with the rubber rings. Does this create enough of a seal for low acid foods?
I've checked out this site:
http://www.pickyourown.org/canningqa.htm#cantcan
It's got some good advice, but doesn't anyswer my questions.

I am VERY careful with my canning. I wash my dirty jars after use and dry, add a new lid and cap and store "ready-to-reuse." I leave the 1/2 in. headspace, and I wipe excess away from the lip before adding the lid. I always boil for as long as it takes, AND if I'm not satisfied with the seal right after I remove it from the water, I put it back in to boil longer. I have left jars in the water to cool overnight, IF I'm canning and beat--You know how an whole day of canning can wear you out!--just to be sure that the heat has sealed the jars.

I store in my dark basement pantry--it does have windows. Any advice on checking on your low acid food canning. I did try some beets earlier in the year. Now, I'm not sure about eating them. I'd like some comments if you have been canning low acid foods, because I'm planning on growing beets, beans, and carrots with the express purpose of canning the excess. Thanks a lot in advance! :frow

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The One thing I have heard about tomatoes, is there are so many new varietys now, and many of them are low acid compared to years back. The county extension office recommended adding 5 more lbs of pressure than the older books say- if you pressure can them (tho not as pretty-they are safe).

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just remember that when something is in writing, there are liability issues, so books and sites selling stuff have to emphasize the dangers to cover their butts. If you take the normal precautions and check the seals on your jars when you put them away and again when you take one out to use it, you should be just fine.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you are careful and follow the directions precisely, you should have no problem. The jars and lids are still the same for pressure canning.

The number one failure for pressure canning generally results from not having your gauge tested for accuracy yearly. You also can't cut corners on the cook time. Follow the recipe and time exactly.

Pressure canning opens a whole new world, doesn't it. :) Have fun!

Latest posts