Feeder Pigs

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats! This is going to be an adventure. I've been thinking about doing this once Eva switches from pasture ornament to dairy cow. I've heard that milk raised pork is amazing.
LOTS AND LOTS OF DETAILS please.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
These pigs have grown! They are eating their heads off like......well.....like pigs! :lol: Here is a picture of updated pig soup. When we got them, all 3 could get in the tub.....

IMG2835.jpg

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, those are cute pigs! My sister raises large blacks and their name is apt...get to be HUGE. Think ya oughta keep one for breeding more meat supply? From all accounts, pigs are easy to inseminate.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, I don't plan on raising these to make more piggies. I don't want a pig that gets HUGE. They can also be dangerous and I am not comfortable with a 1,000 pound hog. The three I have now are NOT pets, they will bite if given a chance. I have been researching smaller breeds and I think I have settled on a new breed, Idaho Pasture Pigs. They are a composite breed of Kune Kune, Duroc and Berkshire. The boars top out at about 450 pounds, they have short flatish faces like the Kune Kune and they won't root the whole place up. They are friendly, respect fences and come in a variety of colors. The closest breeder to me is in Kansas. I have warned my husband that there might be a road trip in the future...... The other breed I have considered is American Guinea Hog, they also stay on the smallish side. But, I'll probably go for the Idaho Pasture Pigs.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course Idaho Pasture pigs are compelling!
If you're going to make a road trip you should go whole hog (so to speak) and get the real deal right here in it's homeland!
Mary will scoot over and share the guest room....

Latest posts