Feeding veggies

akyramoto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My best friend who is my main 'gardening' mentor - has told me in the past to use Osmacote plant food for everything.

It seems to work well. Is there something else I should be using? also is there a difference between plant 'food' and fertilizer?

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I imagine that the term "plant food" may be a marketing gimmick. Fertilizer is plant food, although there are a lot of different kinds of fertilizer. Manure, fish fertilizer, blood meal, bone meal, and similar types, tend to be more organic forms, while there is a slew of diiferent kinds of synthetic chemical fertilizers.

Depends a lot on what style of gardening you want to do, as to what you might choose, organic vs inorganic. I am not familiar with the product you mention, so I can't speak on its qualitys. I do know though that the "Miracle Grow" products are of a high quality.

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use Osmocote only on my flowers and shrubs. It is a time release fertilizer that feeds up to 3 months. It does give great results without constant reapplying. For my garden and the vegetable plants that I sell, I only use organic products (fish emulsion, compost & next year, worm castings)

Latest posts