Feeling Better?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was something on the teevee lately about those folks who are able to maintain those extremely low-calorie diets and how that may be good for their health and longevity. Comparisons were made with a person with a more typical diet and how aging was occurring at a rate much faster than the guy who threw away the softest part of the apple -- so that it was mostly the apple skins that he was eating out of his bowl . . .

I associate food with well-being . . . as in, happiness :p. I'm having strawberry jam on my toast this morning, not my typical behavior. I might cook with butter or margarine but claim that there's usually plenty of butter around my waist and I don't need to spread it on my toast :/. But, I'm well into June :cool:. Maybe in August I'll have butter and jam on my toast!

Balance . . . no, no I mean inner ear kind of balance! I didn't know that it was a problem for older people just because of a physical aging. I guess I just thought it was from kind of an unbalanced decrepitude that alters one side, one leg, or whatever and not the other. I'm terribly unbalanced. I've got one leg that doesn't even serve me very well as a prop! So now the doctors are telling me that it isn't just that bum leg (stiff back, etc. etc) that is making me a tottering old fool, I am likely to have problems with the inner ear??! Well, if anyone is likely to have those kinds of problems . . .

I don't care! I am stronger and far more active now than I was 6 months ago. It isn't all gardening . . . I also mow the lawn! Frequently!

DW asked me to come in mid-day yesterday - "please." She doesn't usually ask things like that and I'd better heed that request if she does. But, there were plants that needed attention and would suffer if I didn't do something. I was out later and attended to them.

It was hot and windy yesterday but not bad. I don't like the wind much but don't live where rain is likely to interfere with growing season activities. It averages right at 1" of rain thru the 3 summer months here. Really, I usually appreciate the rain. Usually, it gives me a chance to have some time off. As an active retired person :rolleyes:, I enjoy an unrushed afternoon nap that is brought on just by way of relaxation rather than exhaustion. Still, I credit the gardening labor with better strength and, dare I say, balance.

Is it of help to you? Are you feeling better and moving easier now than 6 months ago?

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, digitS', as a fellow RA sufferer (I can't think of a more appropriate word, but I don't consider my endurance actual suffering) I agree that the inactivity that comes with bad weather sure makes you feel those aching joints more. Unfortunately I tend to over do it frequently, and end up with a really sore back or hip after a long fun day in the garden. As the weather warms up, I actually do less outside during the day. I try to save my activity for early morning and late evening, just because I don't do well in the really hot sun. Also, that early afternoon nap is a welcome recharge.

Right now, I AM suffering with a bum knee. Feels like inflamed tendons, maybe. The walk across the back yard to the chicken house seemed like the longest mile last evening. This morning I talked my DH into unlocking and feeding the chickens so I wouldn't have to navigate the stairs and yard. I need to get better fast, but abhor going to the doctor.

In general, I am an active person but don't like to do conventional exercises or the treadmill. I like to shovel and chop and tote things around. I don't even mind pulling weeds if I can find a comfortable position--like with a knee pad. Yesterday my son was trying to talk me into coming to work for him, grouting for his tile-laying business. If I could just stand in one area, and not bend down or kneel, I could do it just fine!

My diet has morphed over the past few years to eating more real, natural fats, especially butter, drinking raw whole milk, and staying away from anything "packaged." It leaves me less hungry, with fewer cravings. I keep my weight under 130, but still give into my one vice of eating a Hershey Bar on occasion. :love

Just as an aside, regarding dizziness, when my sinuses are acting up, I get dizzy often. Benedryl helps. I refuse to believe it has anything to do with getting old! :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, not just dizzy, So Lucky -- balance just in everyday movements.

I was watching an old guy the other day. It was fairly dark, which doesn't help us line ourselves up with things visually. Did you know that we do that? Anyway, he is kind of looking around, up in the trees. And, he laughs about something a young lady says to him.

Probably all 3 of these things set him off-balance: darkness, looking up, laughing. Dang, he nearly fell down! Kind of an embarrassing moment while the lady, who must have weighed 70# less than the old fella - must have been thinking, "do I need to try to catch this guy?!"

Anyway, that would be typical behavior for me but . . . I try not to be out after dark :p.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm in kind of a strange mood today.

With that in mind :), if you want to click the little dancing guy and have your speakers on . . .

digitS' :cool:

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am better in some respects than in month previous. I try to eat only real foods. I don't buy processed anymore. I use butter, whole organic milk. I have my eggs from my girls & good things from the garden. it is an embracing of life for the first time in about ten years. my 16 y/o son was killed by a drunk driver & that about did me in. I did my darndest to drink myself to death. the only thing I accomplished was to give myself type 11 diabetes. I lost 45 pounds, and have made real improvements - but boy I battle that glass of wine or two. some days my strength is better than others. but I am stronger now than I have been in a long time.

for me, the word 'balance' encompasses more life style than 'dizziness' per se. not to say i'm not stiff and limited mobility - I am all that, but when I get limbered up, i'm usually ok.

I too associate food with happiness. the way I like to start my day is a cup of hot coffee and a piece of pie sitting outside watching the day wake up. only now, that piece of pie has to be limited to special occasions thanks to my self destructive behavior in the past.

i'm learning to live my life after being in a very dark place for a very long time. life can be beautiful and funny again. i'm grateful

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
BJ, I am so glad that you came here and that you have gone a little further with me on this topic.

You were ready to make changes some time ago. I hope you continue to be able to take the necessary steps.

And, I hope you forgive me for using song lyrics to help me find words to respond. It is very difficult for me to think of anything meaningful.

Steve :hugs

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
bj, I can't imagine what you have gone through; you have my deepest respect for being able to eventually come out stronger. This just further supports my belief that we should not judge other people; we don't know what they have going on in their life, what they have had to struggle through.:hugs

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I do appreciate the kind words and wishes. I wasn't sure whether to share or not. sometimes it's a good idea and sometimes not.

Latest posts