Feeling sorry for seedlings

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is it just me, or PLEASE tell me there is at least SOMEONE else out there who feels just terrible about thinning a planting or discarding the weaker seedlings from a flat?

I somewhat overplanted my earliest lettuce seeding, and even though the weebliest dozen are going to the chickens who will (briefly) much appreciate them, I feel sad as always, like I am somehow failing or betraying them :p

Pat

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I HATE thinning! Seems like such a waste. I usually eat the lettuce seedlings. :)

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh my gosh - I ABSOLUTELY hate thinning! I call it 'planticide.' :D I usually do it early because it's easier when they haven't gotten too big, otherwise it feels like even more of a waste.

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I find thinning disturbing! i always want to squeeze just a couple extra together so i dont wast all the beautiful vegi crop that came up, somehow i feel like im jinxing things by praying for teh crop to come up and then pulling them out when i get "too many"

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pat, I know exactly how you feel, I hate to kill those babies, too! :gig

Seriously, I try to sow seeds thinly so I don't have to, but you just can't avoid it - especially carrots!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG get a grip people... :barnie If you dont thin you have over crowding and then they all die or do poorly...I really dont think lettuce seedlings have feelings... :sick feed your chickens the thinnings they will love you for it...see chickens have feelings...

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's not a feeling thing for me, it's a waste thing, I want every single seed to grow into a beautiful and/or delicious plant! ;)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, what Reinbeau said - it just seems like a waste of a perfectly good seed :p Even fed to the chickens, it *could* have grown to an actual useful SIZE before feeding them if I'd just sown them better.

Pat, having felt this way all my life and not expecting to ever get really reconciled with it :p

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always feel like I am wasting plants when thinning. On the other hand, the robins were out there thinning for me this morning and they didn't seem to mind a bit. They were quite busy in one of the beds out front and they looked pretty happy so maybe they left me some and they gave me a bit of entertainment too.