FEMA question

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Has anyone dealt w/ FEMA? How serious do they take use of their money? If someone spent fema grant money for a purpose other then it was granted for, but it was only a couple of thousand dollars would they pursue that or write it off? We can't ask yet and start balls rolling until he can get a clean, quick divorce.

The money was for repairs to the house (which has always belonged to him) she took care of the banking, didn't tell him the money was in, left him and took the money knowing it is FEMA money for the house, and was told by others after the fact to bring it back b/c it is FEMA money and refused then went a put a down payment on a car.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Honestly I doubt if FEMA is very watchful of how the money is spent. Just kinda like if the insurance company pays you directly for a damaged car, and you pocket the money and drive the car as is.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wish I could help, but I have no experience with FEMA.

Being as it is the Federal government, however, they would probably hang the guy and send the thief off to college with a school grant (on our dollar).

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Boy. Sound a bit like Ex-DIL finding the LOST diamond ring after insurance bought the replacement and the divorce as almost final. No what?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think they will come after you but it would be years later when they realize the mistake. federal oversight is usually decades behind the 8 ball when it comes to checking the records for accuracy.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There is a paper trail as to who took the money out of the account. I doubted they would find out on their own about the misuse of the money, but the only way we may be able to get it back from her will be to either threaten or actually report her to FEMA, just wasn't sure if it would be an empty threat since in the grand scheme of things $2,000 is nothing to them (though a lot to my FIL)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
About 20 yrs. ago we received FEMA money for flooding. I remember the inspector coming over to assess the damage and we were issued a check for around $5,000. We were not required to show proof on how the money was spent. We did replace all of the carpet.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your best bet is suck it up and forget about it. It is lousy, but I wouldn't put myself in the cross hairs of our inept federal government over $2000. I can almost guarantee the grief that would cause would be more than $2000 worth. Divorce goes through, thank the Lord this worthless individual is gone.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The money was given as a grant to fix the house. The house will have to be fixed. Whether the money came from the left pocket (FEMA) or the right one (earnings) isn't going to be an issue in the end.

Latest posts