Female pumpkin---update on treatment-New photo to come

joann

Leafing Out
Reaction score
i would like to ask everyone about my pumkin plants. Bought them for my grandson just for fun, kid pack from Lowes, got 8 watermelen seeds and 3 pumkins seeds. Planted them the begining of may. 2 pumpkins plants grown and the are HUGH. Vines are over 6 foot. The male flowers a blomming daily but the female flowers are falling off the fine? I did get to pollnate on female but it turned brown and deid. I don't know what i am doing this is my first summer garden. Please advise quickly my DH wants me to trim the vines back so that he can mow. That would just kill my grandson. He check his fruit every day and is so looking foward to home grown lack-o-lanter this year.

wclawrence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Checking the fruit every day may be a problem. If he touches it too often it may be bad for it.
But the flowers usually die and fall off after a day or three anyways. probably nothing to worry about.

The plants will be pollinated by bees and flies, I would not worry about doing it myself if I were you, unless you are cross-breeding it to a squash or something.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wclawrence does make a good point.

Also though, a lack of pollination may be the problem. This happens often will squash and their relatives. Perhaps you could grab a male flower and pollinate the emerging female flowers, this could be an interesting and perhaps fun project for kids too!

Good luck

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was just thinking, as I read, that maybe your grandson could get a little brush from a paint set, and carefully help you pollinate the flowers. Oakland and I were on the same page with it! :)

I hope some fruit sets soon, I know how exciting it is to watch them grow,

As for dh, tsk tsk, mitts off buddy boy! ;)

Good luck, and let us know how it's going! :happy_flower

joann

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Update on female flowers. They have been blomming for 3 weeks know but keep falling off and the fruit rotten. Today I had enough and had My Dh take this pic. I didn't see it until I down loaded it. IS that a worm inside the flower uper left. If so what do i do kill off the worms. Its been very rainy the past three days, is that what make the flowers musy. I also took a look in side my male flower and it was nothing but mush.

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Joann

100_0379.jpg

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If the blossoms are rotting it may be a lack of calcium. Try crushing some eggshells and sprinkling them around the base of the plants.

I really can't see any worm but that may be my vision.

It may be squash vine borer larvae. If that's the case then you can inject your plants with a dose of Bt available at most good garden centers.

joann

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have seen no sign of the squash vine borer, but then again I haven't been looking. ealry this evening I was noticing a lot of yellowing one the leave closer to the plant. This worm was more green then white. I will check it out
thanks

ps i will have my DD enlarge pic.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG! :eek: Look at all those eggs. I'm into organic growing but I think for that problem even I would pull out the pesticides.

I think you found your problem..

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like a vine borer, they don't only live in the vines, so this may be it. Either way, if they are vine borers or not. Bt will work on them.

Bt Bacillus thuriengensis is a natural occuring bacterial insect disease that targets most caterpillar/larvae staged insects. Usually an application at the base of the plant is most effective but in this case I would make a few injections throughout the plant.

If this doesn't work, and it may not because you may have a large infestation, you may want to just plant some more pumpkin seeds and say the big plant had babies and they're going to get pumpkins. You should have time before Halloween still since most pumpkins mature around 95-110 days. Look for some early varieties but you should hurry.

When you do plant the new ones, throw sow radish and nasturtium seeds around the plants, these discourage vine borers.

Good luck!

Latest posts