Fertilizing corn

lovemyflock

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We planted blocks of corn every two weeks starting a few months ago. According to the package we should have been able to harvest our first batch the weekend before the 4th of July.

All of the corn seems to be stunted in it's various growth stages. The first block has its tassles but the tallest plants are only 4' tall. No signs of ears of corn yet.

This is my first experience with a garden, and we are attempting to do this organically. I went to the garden center of lowes a few weeks ago, and the salesperson there said you HAVE to use fertilizer twice during corn's growing season in order to produce. Is this true? Is it too late for my corn, all the plants still look healthy...just arent growing :hit We were really looking forward to some home-grown vegetables. While i was at lowes I did pick up some organic vegetable plant food, and sprinkled it around the plants-I havent really noticed a difference though.

Thanks for your input.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Many different conditions can attribute to growing conditions of most plants.

Corn is a very heavy nitrogen feeder and does usually require a 'feeding' in the beginning and another in the middle of the growing season for best results, IME. Giving them a good feeding probably wouldn't do any harm. Are the leaves dark/bright green? Or do they have any discoloration or yellowing? Usually if corn needs nutrients it will tell you.

Corn also thrives in hot weather but requires lots of water. If you've been having some long cooling trends early in the season or now then this may be the reason it hasn't shot up like you expected.

I wouldn't worry about the tasseling at 4 feet, some varieties only grow a few feet and most of the time once they start to tassel the plant will shoot right up.

You fertilized. If there are no signs of disease (brown spots on the stalks, etc.) or signs of bugs causing damage, I would say the best thing is to be patient. And maybe pray for some hot weather if it hasn't been.

Good luck!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree with that. (All of it.)

I grow a variety which never gets especially tall, but I've grown it in the worst areas of the garden, and had it small even by it's standards. Still, the ears were fine.

Organic doesn't mean no fertilizer, just being choosy about soil additions. With chickens, it sounds like you can make some nice compost! :)

Another problem can be the soil. Has it ever grown anything before? Was compost and such added to it? Is it hard?

The nice thing about gardens, if you're attentive, they just get better every year.

Some of those are: Plant a cover crop this fall, and then till it in, in the spring. Some cover crops are: Austrian field peas, vetch, clover, fava beans etc. And if it's really hard soil, try winter rye. It has the root system to help you out there.

Then, in the spring, work in as much compost as you can manage.

Those starts will really begin making a difference.

Good luck; I'll bet, barring very bad weather and disease, that you do get some corn. I've got my fingers crossed for you! :)

lovemyflock

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. I've pretty much accepted this year a trial year, so anything we get is a bonus.

So for next year...if I plant a cover crop this fall, do I plant over the entire garden area, or just where the corn is? Also, we do have chickens now and we are composting. I should work this in the soil in the spring... Does this count for the early fertilzing of the corn?? And then when is it time to fertilize for the middle of the growing season, and what can be used? more compost?

Sorry if all that is confusing, I'm so new to this. :idunno

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You would want to plant cover crops anywhere in the garden where something's not growing, then till it in, in the spring. (Or another month, if it's a summer cover crop.) It is very good for improving the soil for anything which will grow there next.

Working well aged compost from the chickens into the soil will be great, but I also fertilize at other times. The sizes depend on the variety, but I feed a couple of times through their growing season. When they are a few inches tall, when they tassel, and sometime in between.

I like the good compost, fish emulsion, and kelp.

A good alternative to regular fish emulsion is Neptune Supreme, which can be used for foliar feeding.

And for the kelp, a powder of, Maxi-Crop, which also can be used in the soil, or for foliar feeding.

The powders last a very, very long time. I just buy a non-expensive hand pump sprayer, mix a little powder with water, and spray the plants. But not when the sun can hit the leaves.

I'm sure other people have other methods, but this one works very well for me, and it's a safe, and effective, grouping of additions. :)

No problem, if you think of anything else, just ask; hopefully someone will know the answer for you! :)

Reaction score
Tutter has given you some good advice. Especially if your going organic (congrats by the way on that decision) it will take a few years to condition the soil. Compost, compost, compost and plant a good winter cover crop (rye, winter wheat, hairy vetch). Aged chicken litter is awesome for corn. Stick with it and your hard work will be rewarded.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Waiting for the first edible ears of corn, is like waiting for your pullets to lay their first egg.:lol:

It sounds like a healthy enough crop, just give it some time. I bet you still get some good corn feasts.:)

For us organic gardeners, it's often the time it takes to get your soil in good shape, that finally gives you the rewards. Follow Tutter, and Oaklands advice and you will see the results. It just takes lots of patience....